Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary1. (v. t.) To bring forward; to move towards the van or front; to make to go on.
2. (v. t.) To raise; to elevate.
3. (v. t.) To raise to a higher rank; to promote.
4. (v. t.) To accelerate the growth or progress; to further; to forward; to help on; to aid; to heighten; as, to advance the ripening of fruit; to advance one's interests.
5. (v. t.) To bring to view or notice; to offer or propose; to show; as, to advance an argument.
6. (v. t.) To make earlier, as an event or date; to hasten.
7. (v. t.) To furnish, as money or other value, before it becomes due, or in aid of an enterprise; to supply beforehand; as, a merchant advances money on a contract or on goods consigned to him.
8. (v. t.) To raise to a higher point; to enhance; to raise in rate; as, to advance the price of goods.
9. (v. t.) To extol; to laud.
10. (v. i.) To move or go forward; to proceed; as, he advanced to greet me.
11. (v. i.) To increase or make progress in any respect; as, to advance in knowledge, in stature, in years, in price.
12. (v. i.) To rise in rank, office, or consequence; to be preferred or promoted.
13. (n.) The act of advancing or moving forward or upward; progress.
14. (v.) Improvement or progression, physically, mentally, morally, or socially; as, an advance in health, knowledge, or religion; an advance in rank or office.
15. (n.) An addition to the price; rise in price or value; as, an advance on the prime cost of goods.
16. (n.) The first step towards the attainment of a result; approach made to gain favor, to form an acquaintance, to adjust a difference, etc.; an overture; a tender; an offer; -- usually in the plural.
17. (n.) A furnishing of something before an equivalent is received (as money or goods), towards a capital or stock, or on loan; payment beforehand; the money or goods thus furnished; money or value supplied beforehand.
18. (a.) Before in place, or beforehand in time; -- used for advanced; as, an advance guard, or that before the main guard or body of an army; advance payment, or that made before it is due; advance proofs, advance sheets, pages of a forthcoming volume, received in advance of the time of publication.
Greek4298. prokopto -- to cut forward (a way), advance
... to cut forward (a way), advance. Part of Speech: Verb Transliteration: prokopto
Phonetic Spelling: (prok-op'-to) Short Definition: I advance, make progress ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/4298.htm - 7k
728. arrabon -- an earnest (a part payment in advance for security ...
4390. protrecho -- to run forward, ie run in advance
4274. prodromos -- a running forward, going in advance
5562. choreo -- to make room, advance, hold
4302. prolego -- to say beforehand, ie to predict
4260. probaino -- to go forward
357. analogizomai -- to consider
5432. phroureo -- to guard
4275b. proeipon -- to say before
Strong's Hebrew5710a. adah -- to pass on, advance
... adah. 5710b . to pass on, advance. Transliteration: adah Short Definition: passed. ...
root Definition to pass on, advance NASB Word Usage passed (1), takes off (1 ...
/hebrew/5710a.htm - 5k
6743b. tsaleach -- to advance, prosper
833. ashar -- to go straight, go on, advance
6275. atheq -- to move, proceed, advance
5710. adah -- to pass on, advance
6213. asah -- do, make
5375. nasa -- to lift, carry, take
1431. gadal -- to grow up, become great
6744. tselach -- to prosper
5703. ad -- perpetuity
An Advance in the Exhortation.
Whether the Beatified Angels Advance in Beatitude?
The British Advance, 1801-1856.
The Advance of Xerxes into Greece.
An Advance Step in the Royal Programme
I Will not by the Noise of Bloody Wars and the Dethroning of Kings ...
No One, However, Has ever Made Such an Unblushing Advance in the ...
Instructions for those who have Attained to the Prayer of Quiet. ...
Building in Silence
ThesaurusAdvance (33 Occurrences)
... 4. (vt) To accelerate the growth or progress; to further; to forward; to help on;
to aid; to heighten; as, to advance the ripening of fruit; to advance one's ...
/a/advance.htm - 17k
Forward (252 Occurrences)
March (41 Occurrences)
Forwardness (2 Occurrences)
Further (121 Occurrences)
Advancement (3 Occurrences)
Forestall (2 Occurrences)
Progress (9 Occurrences)
Crawl (5 Occurrences)
Strike (168 Occurrences)
Bible ConcordanceAdvance (33 Occurrences)
Matthew 24:25 "Behold, I have told you beforehand.
Mark 13:23 But you watch. "Behold, I have told you all things beforehand.
Romans 9:23 and that he might make known the riches of his glory on vessels of mercy, which he prepared beforehand for glory,
Romans 13:12 The night is far advanced, and day is about to dawn. We must therefore lay aside the deeds of darkness, and clothe ourselves with the armour of Light.
1 Corinthians 8:8 But victuals do not commend us to God, for neither if we may eat are we in advance; nor if we may not eat, are we behind;
2 Corinthians 9:5 I thought it necessary therefore to entreat the brothers that they would go before to you, and arrange ahead of time the generous gift that you promised before, that the same might be ready as a matter of generosity, and not of greediness.
2 Corinthians 13:2 I have said beforehand, and I do say beforehand, as when I was present the second time, so now, being absent, I write to those who have sinned before now, and to all the rest, that, if I come again, I will not spare;
Galatians 3:8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the Good News beforehand to Abraham, saying, "In you all the nations will be blessed."
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them.
Philippians 1:12 And I wish you to know, brethren, that the things concerning me, rather to an advancement of the good news have come,
1 Thessalonians 3:4 For most certainly, when we were with you, we told you beforehand that we are to suffer affliction, even as it happened, and you know.
2 Timothy 2:16 But profane, vain babblings shun, for they will advance to greater impiety,
2 Timothy 3:9 But they shall not advance farther; for their folly shall be completely manifest to all, as that of those also became.
Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving elementary instruction about the Christ, let us advance to mature manhood and not be continually re-laying a foundation of repentance from lifeless works and of faith in God,
Hebrews 6:3 And advance we will, if God permits us to do so.
2 John 1:9 No one has God, who instead of remaining true to the teaching of Christ, presses on in advance: but he who remains true to that teaching has both the Father and the Son.
Deuteronomy 1:7 turn, and take your journey, and go to the hill country of the Amorites, and to all the places near there, in the Arabah, in the hill country, and in the lowland, and in the South, and by the seashore, the land of the Canaanites, and Lebanon, as far as the great river, the river Euphrates.
Joshua 6:7 They said to the people, "Advance! March around the city, and let the armed men pass on before Yahweh's ark."
Judges 4:15 Yahweh confused Sisera, and all his chariots, and all his army, with the edge of the sword before Barak; and Sisera alighted from his chariot, and fled away on his feet.
Judges 9:33 and it shall be, that in the morning, as soon as the sun is up, you shall rise early, and rush on the city; and behold, when he and the people who are with him come out against you, then may you do to them as you shall find occasion."
Job 19:12 His troops come on together, build a siege ramp against me, and encamp around my tent.
Psalms 18:29 For by you, I advance through a troop. By my God, I leap over a wall.
Psalms 27:2 When evil-doers came upon me to eat up my flesh, even mine adversaries and my foes, they stumbled and fell.
Proverbs 30:27 The locusts have no king, yet they advance in ranks.
Jeremiah 12:2 Thou hast planted them, they also have taken root: they advance, yea, they bring forth fruit: thou art near in their mouth, but far from their reins.
Jeremiah 46:3 Prepare the buckler and shield, and draw near to battle!
Jeremiah 46:9 Go up, you horses; and rage, you chariots; and let the mighty men go forth: Cush and Put, who handle the shield; and the Ludim, who handle and bend the bow.
Jeremiah 49:28 Of Kedar, and of the kingdoms of Hazor, which Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon struck. Thus says Yahweh: Arise, go up to Kedar, and destroy the children of the east.
Jeremiah 49:31 Arise, go up to a nation that is at ease, that dwells without care, says Yahweh; that have neither gates nor bars, that dwell alone.
Ezekiel 38:9 You shall ascend, you shall come like a storm, you shall be like a cloud to cover the land, you, and all your hordes, and many peoples with you.
Daniel 11:13 The king of the north shall return, and shall set forth a multitude greater than the former; and he shall come on at the end of the times, even of years, with a great army and with much substance.
Joel 3:12 "Let the nations arouse themselves, and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat; for there will I sit to judge all the surrounding nations.
Habakkuk 1:9 All of them come for violence. Their hordes face the desert. He gathers prisoners like sand.
LinksBible Concordance • Bible Dictionary • Bible Encyclopedia • Topical Bible • Bible Thesuarus