Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
1. (imp. & p. p.
) of Set.
2. (v. t.) To cause to sit; to make to assume a specified position or attitude; to give site or place to; to place; to put; to fix; as, to set a house on a stone foundation; to set a book on a shelf; to set a dish on a table; to set a chest or trunk on its bottom or on end.
3. (v. t.) Hence, to attach or affix (something) to something else, or in or upon a certain place.
4. (v. t.) To make to assume specified place, condition, or occupation; to put in a certain condition or state (described by the accompanying words); to cause to be.
5. (v. t.) To fix firmly; to make fast, permanent, or stable; to render motionless; to give an unchanging place, form, or condition to.
6. (v. t.) To cause to stop or stick; to obstruct; to fasten to a spot; hence, to occasion difficulty to; to embarrass; as, to set a coach in the mud.
7. (v. t.) To fix beforehand; to determine; hence, to make unyielding or obstinate; to render stiff, unpliant, or rigid; as, to set one's countenance.
8. (v. t.) To fix in the ground, as a post or a tree; to plant; as, to set pear trees in an orchard.
9. (v. t.) To fix, as a precious stone, in a border of metal; to place in a setting; hence, to place in or amid something which serves as a setting; as, to set glass in a sash.
10. (v. t.) To render stiff or solid; especially, to convert into curd; to curdle; as, to set milk for cheese.
11. (v. t.) To put into a desired position or condition; to adjust; to regulate; to adapt.
12. (v. t.) To put in order in a particular manner; to prepare; as, to set (that is, to hone) a razor; to set a saw.
13. (v. t.) To extend and bring into position; to spread; as, to set the sails of a ship.
14. (v. t.) To give a pitch to, as a tune; to start by fixing the keynote; as, to set a psalm.
15. (v. t.) To reduce from a dislocated or fractured state; to replace; as, to set a broken bone.
16. (v. t.) To make to agree with some standard; as, to set a watch or a clock.
17. (v. t.) To lower into place and fix solidly, as the blocks of cut stone in a structure.
18. (v. t.) To stake at play; to wager; to risk.
19. (v. t.) To fit with music; to adapt, as words to notes; to prepare for singing.
20. (v. t.) To determine; to appoint; to assign; to fix; as, to set a time for a meeting; to set a price on a horse.
21. (v. t.) To adorn with something infixed or affixed; to stud; to variegate with objects placed here and there.
22. (v. t.) To value; to rate; -- with at.
23. (v. t.) To point out the seat or position of, as birds, or other game; -- said of hunting dogs.
24. (v. t.) To establish as a rule; to furnish; to prescribe; to assign; as, to set an example; to set lessons to be learned.
25. (v. t.) To suit; to become; as, it sets him ill.
26. (v. t.) To compose; to arrange in words, lines, etc.; as, to set type; to set a page.
27. (v. i.) To pass below the horizon; to go down; to decline; to sink out of sight; to come to an end.
28. (v. i.) To fit music to words.
29. (v. i.) To place plants or shoots in the ground; to plant.
30. (v. i.) To be fixed for growth; to strike root; to begin to germinate or form; as, cuttings set well; the fruit has set well (i. e., not blasted in the blossom).
31. (v. i.) To become fixed or rigid; to be fastened.
32. (v. i.) To congeal; to concrete; to solidify.
33. (v. i.) To have a certain direction in motion; to flow; to move on; to tend; as, the current sets to the north; the tide sets to the windward.
34. (v. i.) To begin to move; to go out or forth; to start; -- now followed by out.
35. (v. i.) To indicate the position of game; -- said of a dog; as, the dog sets well; also, to hunt game by the aid of a setter.
36. (v. i.) To apply one's self; to undertake earnestly; -- now followed by out.
37. (v. i.) To fit or suit one; to sit; as, the coat sets well.
38. (a.) Fixed in position; immovable; rigid; as, a set line; a set countenance.
39. (a.) Firm; unchanging; obstinate; as, set opinions or prejudices.
40. (a.) Regular; uniform; formal; as, a set discourse; a set battle.
41. (a.) Established; prescribed; as, set forms of prayer.
42. (a.) Adjusted; arranged; formed; adapted.
43. (n.) The act of setting, as of the sun or other heavenly body; descent; hence, the close; termination.
44. (n.) That which is set, placed, or fixed.
45. (n.) A young plant for growth; as, a set of white thorn.
46. (n.) That which is staked; a wager; a venture; a stake; hence, a game at venture.
47. (n.) Permanent change of figure in consequence of excessive strain, as from compression, tension, bending, twisting, etc.; as, the set of a spring.
48. (n.) A kind of punch used for bending, indenting, or giving shape to, metal; as, a saw set.
49. (n.) A piece placed temporarily upon the head of a pile when the latter cannot be reached by the weight, or hammer, except by means of such an intervening piece.
50. (n.) A short steel spike used for driving the head of a nail below the surface.
51. (n.) A number of things of the same kind, ordinarily used or classed together; a collection of articles which naturally complement each other, and usually go together; an assortment; a suit; as, a set of chairs, of china, of surgical or mathematical instruments, of books, etc.
52. (n.) A number of persons associated by custom, office, common opinion, quality, or the like; a division; a group; a clique.
53. (n.) Direction or course; as, the set of the wind, or of a current.
54. (n.) In dancing, the number of persons necessary to execute a quadrille; also, the series of figures or movements executed.
55. (n.) The deflection of a tooth, or of the teeth, of a saw, which causes the saw to cut a kerf, or make an opening, wider than the blade.
56. (n.) A young oyster when first attached.
57. (n.) Collectively, the crop of young oysters in any locality.
58. (n.) A series of as many games as may be necessary to enable one side to win six. If at the end of the tenth game the score is a tie, the set is usually called a deuce set, and decided by an application of the rules for playing off deuce in a game. See Deuce.
59. (n.) That dimension of the body of a type called by printers the width.
International Standard Bible EncyclopediaSET
Few words in the English language have such a rich variety of meaning and are used in so rich a variety of idiomatic expression as the word "set." A glance at any of the great dictionaries will convince anyone of the truth of this statement. The Standard Dictionary devotes three and a half columns to the word. In its primary meaning it there denotes 22 distinct things, in its secondary meaning 17 more, while 18 distinct phrases are given in which it is used, in some cases again in a variety of meanings. It is indeed a word calculated to drive a foreigner to despair. Some 70 Hebrew and about 30 Greek words in the original tongues of the Holy Scriptures have been rendered by the word "set," in the King James Version and also in the Revised Version (British and American). A careful comparative study of the original and of translations in other tongues will at once indicate that a lack of discrimination is evident on the part of the English translators in the frequent use of the word "set."
Thus in Songs 5:14, "hands are as rings of gold set with beryl," the Hebrew word is male', "to be filled," "full." Vulgate (Jerome's Latin Bible, 390-405 A.D.) translates plenae, the Dutch gevuld, the German voll; Proverbs 8:27, "when he set a circle," Hebrew chaqaq, "to describe," "decree," Vulgate (Jerome's Latin Bible, 390-405 A.D.) vallabat, Dutch beschreef; Ezra 4:10, "set in the city of Samaria," Aramaic yethibh, "to cause to sit down," "to cause to dwell," Vulgate (Jerome's Latin Bible, 390-405 A.D.) habitare eas fecit, Dutch doen wonen; Psalm 2:6, "Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill," Hebrew nacakh, "to pour out," "to anoint," Dutch gezalfd; Isaiah 19:2, the King James Version "I will set the Egyptians against the Egyptians," Hebrew cakhakh, "to disturb," "to confuse," Vulgate (Jerome's Latin Bible, 390-405 A.D.) concurrere faciam, Dutch verwarren, German an einander setzen; Revelation 3:8, "I have, set before thee a door," Greek didomi, "to give," Vulgate (Jerome's Latin Bible, 390-405 A.D.) dedi coram te, Dutch gegeven, German gegeben; Acts 19:27, the King James Version "Our craft is in danger to be set at nought," Greek erchomai, "to come," Vulgate (Jerome's Latin Bible, 390-405 A.D.) periclitabitur, Dutch in verachting komen; Luke 4:18, "to set at liberty them," Greek apostello, "to send away," Dutch heen te zenden in vrijheid; Acts 13:9, the King James Version "Saul.... set his eyes on him," Greek atenizo, "to stare fixedly," Vulgate: intuens in eum, Dutch de oogen op hem houdende. These are but a few examples chosen at random where our English translators have rendered Hebrew and Greek words by "set," where a more literal translation, in equally good idiomatic language, was possible. The word "set" is the causative of "sit," and indicates primarily a power of self-support, in opposition to the idea of the word "lay."
(1) In its primary meaning the word "set" is used in our English Bible in many senses:
(a) Foundation: Songs 5:15, "His legs are as pillars of marble set upon."
(b) Direction: Ezekiel 21:16, "whithersoever thy face is set."
(c) Appointed time: Acts 12:21, "upon a set day."
(d) Fixed place: 2 Chronicles 20:17, "Set yourselves, stand ye still, and see"; 2 Samuel 6:17 Matthew 4:5.
(e) Cause to sit: 1 Samuel 2:8, the King James Version "to set them among princes"; 2 Chronicles 23:20 Psalm 68:6.
(f) Appointment: Ezra 7:25, the King James Version "set magistrates and judges"; Genesis 41:41 1 Samuel 12:13; Psalm 2:6 Daniel 1:11. (g) To lift up: Genesis 31:17, "set his sons and his wives upon."
(h) Appointed place: Genesis 1:17, "God set them in the firmament."
(i) Cause to stand: Genesis 47:7, "Joseph brought in Jacob.... and set him before Pharaoh"; Numbers 8:13 2 Chronicles 29:25.
(j) Sitting: Matthew 5:1, the King James Version "when he was set"; Hebrews 8:1 the King James Version.
(k) Location: Matthew 5:14, "a city set on a hill." These by no means exhaust the meaning which the word, in its primary sense, has in our English Bible.
(2) In a secondary or tropical sense it is used with equal frequency, usually with various prepositions. Thus,
(a) To attack: Judges 9:33, the King James Version "and set upon the city."
(b) To imprint: Genesis 4:15, the King James Version "The Lord set a mark upon Cain."
(c) To direct to: 1 Kings 2:15, "And that all Israel set their faces on me."
(d) To place: 1 Kings 20:12, Ben-hadad shouted one word to his allies: "Set," i.e. set the armies in array, the battering-rams and engines of attack in their place.
(e) To incline toward: Ezekiel 40:4, "Set thy heart upon all that I shall show."
(f) To trust in: Psalm 62:10, "If riches increase, set not your heart thereon."
(g) To place before: Psalm 90:8, "Thou hast set our iniquities before"; Psalm 141:3, "Set a watch, O Yahweh, before my mouth."
(h) To go down: of the setting of the sun (Mark 1:32 Luke 4:40).
(i) To be proud: Malachi 3:15, the King James Version "They that work wickedness are set up."
(j) To fill in: Exodus 35:9, "stones to be set, for the ephod."
(k) To plant: Mark 12:1, "set a hedge about it."
(l) To mock: Luke 23:11, "Herod.... set him at nought."
(m) To honor: 1 Samuel 18:30, "so that his name was much set by."
(n) To start: Acts 21:2, "We went aboard, and set sail." As may be seen the word is used in an endless variety of meanings.
Henry E. Dosker
Greek4295. prokeimai -- to be set before, to be set forth ...
to be set
before, to be set
forth. Part of Speech: Verb Transliteration: prokeimai
Phonetic Spelling: (prok'-i-mahee) Short Definition: I am set
before ... //strongsnumbers.com/greek2/4295.htm - 6k
2525. kathistemi -- to set in order, appoint
... to set in order, appoint. Part of Speech: Verb Transliteration: kathistemi Phonetic
Spelling: (kath-is'-tay-mee) Short Definition: I set, establish, appoint ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/2525.htm - 8k
3908. paratithemi -- to place beside, to set before
... to place beside, to set before. Part of Speech: Verb Transliteration: paratithemi
Phonetic Spelling: (par-at-ith'-ay-mee) Short Definition: I set before, serve ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/3908.htm - 8k
461. anorthoo -- to set upright, set straight again
... to set upright, set straight again. Part of Speech: Verb Transliteration: anorthoo
Phonetic Spelling: (an-orth-o'-o) Short Definition: I make straight again ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/461.htm - 6k
114. atheteo -- to do away with what has been laid down, set aside
... to do away with what has been laid down, set aside. Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: atheteo Phonetic Spelling: (ath-et-eh'-o) Short Definition: I annul ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/114.htm - 8k
5087. tithemi -- to place, lay, set
... to place, lay, set. Part of Speech: Verb Transliteration: tithemi Phonetic Spelling:
(tith'-ay-mee) Short Definition: I put, place Definition: I put, place, lay ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/5087.htm - 10k
5394. phlogizo from NG5395 -- set on fire.
... 5393, 5394. phlogizo from NG5395. 5395 . set on fire. ... Word Origin to set on
fire, burn NASB Word Usage set on fire (1), sets on fire (1). set on fire. ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/5394.htm - 6k
1931. epiduo -- to set (of the sun)
... to set (of the sun). Part of Speech: Verb Transliteration: epiduo Phonetic Spelling:
(ep-ee-doo'-o) Short Definition: I sink, set Definition: I sink, set, set ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/1931.htm - 6k
498. antitasso -- to range in battle against, to set oneself ...
... to range in battle against, to set oneself against. Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: antitasso Phonetic Spelling: (an-tee-tas'-som-ahee) Short Definition ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/498.htm - 8k
4388. protithemi -- to set before, ie propose
... to set before, ie propose. Part of Speech: Verb Transliteration: protithemi Phonetic
Spelling: (prot-ith'-em-ahee) Short Definition: I purpose, design ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/4388.htm - 7k
Strong's Hebrew7846. set -- swerver, perhaps revolter, deeds that swerveset
. 7845, 7846. set
. 7847 . swerver, perhaps revolter,
deeds that swerve. Transliteration: set
Phonetic ... /hebrew/7846.htm - 6k
3322. yatsag -- to set, place
... 3321, 3322. yatsag. 3323 . to set, place. Transliteration: yatsag Phonetic
Spelling: (yaw-tsag') Short Definition: set. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/3322.htm - 6k
5265. nasa -- to pull out or up, set out, journey
... nasa. 5266 . to pull out or up, set out, journey. Transliteration: nasa Phonetic
Spelling: (naw-sah') Short Definition: journeyed. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5265.htm - 6k
7760. sum -- to put, place, set
sum or sim. 7759, 7760. sum or sim. 7761 . to put, place, set. Transliteration:
sum or sim Phonetic Spelling: (soom) Short Definition: put. Word Origin a prim ...
/hebrew/7760.htm - 7k
7761. sum -- to set, make
... sum or sim. 7762 . to set, make. Transliteration: sum or sim Phonetic Spelling:
(soom) Short Definition: issued. ... command, give, lay, make, name, regard, set. ...
/hebrew/7761.htm - 6k
6186. arak -- to arrange or set in order
... 6185, 6186. arak. 6186a . to arrange or set in order. Transliteration:
arak Phonetic Spelling: (aw-rak') Short Definition: array. ...
/hebrew/6186.htm - 5k
6942. qadash -- to be set apart or consecrated
... 6941, 6942. qadash. 6943 . to be set apart or consecrated. Transliteration:
qadash Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-dash') Short Definition: consecrate. ...
/hebrew/6942.htm - 6k
7896. shith -- to put, set
... 7895, 7896. shith. 7897 . to put, set. Transliteration: shith Phonetic
Spelling: (sheeth) Short Definition: set. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/7896.htm - 6k
3320. yatsab -- to set or station oneself, take one's stand
... yatsab. 3321 . to set or station oneself, take one's stand. Transliteration: yatsab
Phonetic Spelling: (yaw-tsab') Short Definition: stand. Word Origin a prim ...
/hebrew/3320.htm - 6k
5414. nathan -- to give, put, set
... 5413, 5414. nathan. 5415 . to give, put, set. Transliteration: nathan Phonetic
Spelling: (naw-than') Short Definition: give. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5414.htm - 9k
The Way the Sail is Set.
... THE WAY THE SAIL IS SET. ... An old sea-captain made reply (His locks with salt-spray
wet): "'Tis not the wind decides the course; 'Tis way the sails are set.". ...
//christianbookshelf.org/orr/how to live a holy life/the way the sail is.htm
Set at Liberty.
... XIV. Set at Liberty. (Mark 6:27.) "Hush my soul, and vain regrets be stilled;
Now rest in Him who is the complement Of whatsoe'er ...
//christianbookshelf.org/meyer/john the baptist/xiv set at liberty.htm
How Hyrcanus was Set at Liberty by the Parthians, and Returned to ...
... CHAPTER 2. How Hyrcanus Was Set At Liberty By The Parthians, And Returned To Herod;
And What Alexandra Did When She Heard That Ananelus Was Made High Priest. ...
/.../josephus/the antiquities of the jews/chapter 2 how hyrcanus was.htm
The Example Set us by the Martyrs, whom no Force could Hinder from ...
... Chapter V. The Example set us by the Martyrs, whom no force could hinder
from defending the� The Example set us by the Martyrs ...
/.../vincent/the commonitory of vincent of lerins/chapter v the example set.htm
My Hope is Firmly Set
... ASPIRATIONS My hope is firmly set. tr., John Brownlie 6,6,8,8,6. I. My hope is firmly
set. On Him Whose truth abides; The lights of earth may fade and die,. ...
/.../brownlie/hymns from the morningland/my hope is firmly set.htm
The Eighteenth Chapter: the Example Set us by the Holy Fathers
... BOOK ONE. THOUGHTS HELPFUL IN THE LIFE OF THE SOUL The Eighteenth Chapter:
The Example Set Us by the Holy Fathers. CONSIDER the lively ...
/.../kempis/the imitation of christ/the eighteenth chapter the example.htm
The Life of Mary is Set Before virgins as an Example...
... Book II. Chapter II. The life of Mary is set before virgins as an example�
The life of Mary is set before virgins as an example ...
/.../ambrose/works and letters of st ambrose/chapter ii the life of.htm
The Joy that was Set Before Him
... The Joy that Was Set Before Him. TP 1 Timothy 1:15. From the palace of His glory,.
From the radiance and the rest,. Came the Son of God to seek me,. ...
/.../bevan/hymns of ter steegen suso and others/the joy that was set.htm
The Resolution of the Difficulty Set Forth for Consideration is ...
... Book II. Chapter VII. The resolution of the difficulty set forth for
consideration is again taken in hand.� The resolution of ...
/.../ambrose/works and letters of st ambrose/chapter vii the resolution of.htm
On Smart Novelists and the Smart Set
... XV. On Smart Novelists and the Smart Set. In one sense, at any rate, it is
more valuable to read bad literature than good literature. ...
//christianbookshelf.org/chesterton/heretics/xv on smart novelists and.htm
ThesaurusSet (6715 Occurrences)...
Noah Webster's Dictionary 1. (imp. & pp) of Set
. 2. (vt) To cause to sit;
to make to assume a specified position or attitude; to .../s/set.htm - 20k
Well-set (1 Occurrence)
Well-set. Well-satisfied, Well-set. Wellspring . Noah Webster's
Dictionary 1. (a.) Properly or firmly set. 2. (a.) Well ...
/w/well-set.htm - 7k
Standards (14 Occurrences)
... (See NIV). Numbers 2:17 "Then the Tent of Meeting shall set out, with the
camp of the Levites in the midst of the camps. As they ...
/s/standards.htm - 11k
Ambush (39 Occurrences)
... am'-boosh ('arabh, "to set an ambush"; ma'arabh, "an ambush"): A military stratagem
in which a body of men are placed in concealment to surprise an enemy ...
/a/ambush.htm - 19k
Sail (32 Occurrences)
... 10. (n.) To set sail; to begin a voyage. 11. ... (WEY). Acts 13:13 Now Paul and his
company set sail from Paphos, and came to Perga in Pamphylia. ...
/s/sail.htm - 17k
Seasons (43 Occurrences)
... Acts 1:7 He said to them, "It isn't for you to know times or seasons which the Father
has set within his own authority. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV). ...
/s/seasons.htm - 22k
Ambushes (7 Occurrences)
... Judges 9:25 And the masters of Shechem set for him ambushes on the top of the hills,
and rob every one who passeth over by them in the way, and it is declared ...
/a/ambushes.htm - 8k
Arrayed (46 Occurrences)
... Luke 23:11 And Herod with his men of war set him at nought, and mocked him, and
arrayed him in a gorgeous robe, and sent him again to Pilate. (KJV WBS). ...
/a/arrayed.htm - 20k
Satraps (12 Occurrences)
... treasurers, the counselors, the sheriffs, and all the rulers of the provinces, to
come to the dedication of the image which Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up. ...
/s/satraps.htm - 11k
Securely (43 Occurrences)
... 1 Kings 2:24 Now therefore as Yahweh lives, who has established me, and set me on
the throne of David my father, and who has made me a house, as he promised ...
/s/securely.htm - 18k
Bible ConcordanceSet (6715 Occurrences)
Set appears 6715 times in 12 translations.
You can narrow your search using the Advanced Bible Search.
Well-set (1 Occurrence)
Standards (14 Occurrences)
Ambush (39 Occurrences)
Sail (32 Occurrences)
Seasons (43 Occurrences)
Ambushes (7 Occurrences)
Arrayed (46 Occurrences)
Satraps (12 Occurrences)
Securely (43 Occurrences)
Shadrach (14 Occurrences)
Allotment (24 Occurrences)
Standard (42 Occurrences)
Showbread (18 Occurrences)
Array (63 Occurrences)
Stringed (34 Occurrences)
Sour (15 Occurrences)
Screen (26 Occurrences)
Aside (416 Occurrences)
Stationed (49 Occurrences)
Setting (82 Occurrences)
Kohathites (18 Occurrences)
Sabbaths (53 Occurrences)
Arranged (32 Occurrences)
Vestibule (36 Occurrences)
Ko'hathites (19 Occurrences)
Assemblage (20 Occurrences)
Arrange (19 Occurrences)
Aright (14 Occurrences)
Ambushers (5 Occurrences)
Sardius (5 Occurrences)
Southland (4 Occurrences)
Spears (25 Occurrences)
Sheriffs (2 Occurrences)
Snares (24 Occurrences)
Southeast (2 Occurrences)
Sherifs (2 Occurrences)
Shen (1 Occurrence)
Show-bread (15 Occurrences)
Sharply (20 Occurrences)
Stick (47 Occurrences)
Apparel (38 Occurrences)
Arrow (34 Occurrences)
Arrows (59 Occurrences)
Setteth (116 Occurrences)
Ashurbanipal (1 Occurrence)
Shewbread (16 Occurrences)
Spent (76 Occurrences)
Assemblies (48 Occurrences)
Ahaz (42 Occurrences)
Settle (63 Occurrences)
Swords (50 Occurrences)
Sacred (140 Occurrences)
Sets (80 Occurrences)
Zoan (7 Occurrences)
Assigned (64 Occurrences)
Se'ir (36 Occurrences)
Simile (61 Occurrences)
Asaph (47 Occurrences)
Succeed (47 Occurrences)
Step (41 Occurrences)
State (51 Occurrences)
Ai (32 Occurrences)
Season (101 Occurrences)
Sojourn (51 Occurrences)
Armies (361 Occurrences)
Singers (41 Occurrences)
Skillful (42 Occurrences)
Shields (44 Occurrences)
Vow (49 Occurrences)
Shouldst (61 Occurrences)
Separated (97 Occurrences)
Stronghold (68 Occurrences)
Shoot (51 Occurrences)
Shoulders (38 Occurrences)
Slip (22 Occurrences)
Saints (117 Occurrences)
Strive (64 Occurrences)
Arameans (61 Occurrences)
Shiloh (34 Occurrences)
• Bible Dictionary
• Bible Encyclopedia
• Topical Bible
• Bible Thesuarus