Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary1. (n.) The quantity of fluid which falls in one small spherical mass; a liquid globule; a minim; hence, also, the smallest easily measured portion of a fluid; a small quantity; as, a drop of water.
2. (n.) That which resembles, or that which hangs like, a liquid drop; as a hanging diamond ornament, an earring, a glass pendant on a chandelier, a sugarplum (sometimes medicated), or a kind of shot or slug.
3. (n.) Same as Gutta.
4. (n.) Any small pendent ornament.
5. (n.) Whatever is arranged to drop, hang, or fall from an elevated position; also, a contrivance for lowering something
6. (n.) A door or platform opening downward; a trap door; that part of the gallows on which a culprit stands when he is to be hanged; hence, the gallows itself.
7. (n.) A machine for lowering heavy weights, as packages, coal wagons, etc., to a ship's deck.
8. (n.) A contrivance for temporarily lowering a gas jet.
9. (n.) A curtain which drops or falls in front of the stage of a theater, etc.
10. (n.) A drop press or drop hammer.
11. (n.) The distance of the axis of a shaft below the base of a hanger.
12. (n.) Any medicine the dose of which is measured by drops; as, lavender drops.
13. (n.) The depth of a square sail; -- generally applied to the courses only.
14. (n.) Act of dropping; sudden fall or descent.
15. (n.) To pour or let fall in drops; to pour in small globules; to distill.
16. (n.) To cause to fall in one portion, or by one motion, like a drop; to let fall; as, to drop a line in fishing; to drop a courtesy.
17. (n.) To let go; to dismiss; to set aside; to have done with; to discontinue; to forsake; to give up; to omit.
18. (n.) To bestow or communicate by a suggestion; to let fall in an indirect, cautious, or gentle manner; as, to drop hint, a word of counsel, etc.
19. (n.) To lower, as a curtain, or the muzzle of a gun, etc.
20. (n.) To send, as a letter; as, please drop me a line, a letter, word.
21. (n.) To give birth to; as, to drop a lamb.
22. (n.) To cover with drops; to variegate; to bedrop.
23. (v. i.) To fall in drops.
24. (v. i.) To fall, in general, literally or figuratively; as, ripe fruit drops from a tree; wise words drop from the lips.
25. (v. i.) To let drops fall; to discharge itself in drops.
26. (v. i.) To fall dead, or to fall in death.
27. (v. i.) To come to an end; to cease; to pass out of mind; as, the affair dropped.
28. (v. i.) To come unexpectedly; -- with in or into; as, my old friend dropped in a moment.
29. (v. i.) To fall or be depressed; to lower; as, the point of the spear dropped a little.
30. (v. i.) To fall short of a mark.
International Standard Bible EncyclopediaDROP, DROPPING
"To drop" expresses a "distilling" or "dripping" of a fluid (Judges 5:4 Proverbs 3:20 Songs 5:5, 13 Joel 3:18 Amos 9:13; compare 1 Samuel 14:26, "the honey dropped" (margin "a stream of honey")); Job 29:22 and Isaiah 45:8 read "distil" (the King James Version "drop"). The continuous "droppings" of rain through a leaking roof (roofs were usually made of clay in Palestine, and always liable to cracks and leakage) on a "very rainy day" is compared to a contentious wife (Proverbs 19:13; Proverbs 27:15); "What is described is the irritating, unceasing, sound of the fall, drop after drop, of water through the chinks in the roof" (Plumptre, in the place cited); compare also the King James Version Ecclesiastes 10:18 (the Revised Version (British and American) "leaketh").
Greek1601b. ekpipto -- to drop away, fig. to lose, become inefficient
... 1601a, 1601b. ekpipto. 1602 . to drop away, fig. to lose ... aground. Word
Origin from ek and pipto Definition to drop away, fig. to ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/1601b.htm - 5k
2361. thrombos -- a lump
906. ballo -- to throw, cast
2602. katabole -- a laying down
1601. ekpipto -- to leap out
879. aphupnoo -- to fall asleep
2869. kopazo -- to grow weary
1145. dakruo -- to weep
5202. hudropoteo -- to drink water
Strong's Hebrew6201. araph -- to drip, drop
... to drip, drop. Transliteration: araph Phonetic Spelling: (aw-raf') Short Definition:
drop. ... root Definition to drip, drop NASB Word Usage drop (1), drop down (1). ...
/hebrew/6201.htm - 5k
4752. mar -- a drop
5198. nataph -- a drop
96. egel -- a drop
7447. raciyc -- a drop (of dew)
1811. dalaph -- to drip, drop
5140. nazal -- to flow, trickle, drop, distill
5394. nashal -- to slip or drop off, draw off, clear away
5197. nataph -- to drop, drip, discourse
7447a. rasis -- a drop (of dew)
Thy Lips, O My Spouse, Drop as the Honeycomb; Honey and Milk are ...
The Sun is but a Little Spark of his Infinite Love: the Sea is but ...
Look Now at Warring Christendom, what Smallest Drop of Pity ...
And I Heard, O Lord My God, and Drank up a Drop of Sweetness Out.. ...
April 25, 1893
Joy and Peace in Believing
Turn Away Thine Eyes from Me, Because they have Made Me to Flee ...
How to Work God's Joy-Machine
Why Men do not Attain Quickly to the Perfect Love of God. Of Four ...
ThesaurusDrop (32 Occurrences)
... in one small spherical mass; a liquid globule; a minim; hence, also, the smallest
easily measured portion of a fluid; a small quantity; as, a drop of water. ...
/d/drop.htm - 20k
Dropping (33 Occurrences)
Weep (97 Occurrences)
Tear (97 Occurrences)
Distil (5 Occurrences)
Distill (3 Occurrences)
Sweat (3 Occurrences)
Fall (522 Occurrences)
Dew (35 Occurrences)
Flowers (42 Occurrences)
Bible ConcordanceDrop (32 Occurrences)
Luke 16:17 But heaven and earth will come to an end before the smallest letter of the law may be dropped out.
James 1:11 The sun rises with his scorching heat and dries up the herbage, so that its flowers drop off and the beauty of its appearance perishes, and in the same way rich men with all their prosperity will fade away.
1 Peter 1:24 "All mankind resemble the herbage, and all their beauty is like its flowers. The herbage dries up, and its flowers drop off;
Revelation 6:13 The stars of the sky fell to the earth, like a fig tree dropping its unripe figs when it is shaken by a great wind.
Deuteronomy 28:40 Thou shalt have olive-trees throughout all thy borders, but thou shalt not anoint thyself with the oil; for thine olive shall cast its fruit.
Deuteronomy 32:2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain. My speech shall condense as the dew, as the small rain on the tender grass, as the showers on the herb.
Deuteronomy 33:28 Israel dwells in safety; the fountain of Jacob alone, In a land of grain and new wine. Yes, his heavens drop down dew.
Judges 2:19 But whenever the judge died, they turned back and behaved worse than their fathers, going after other gods, serving them and bowing down to them; they did not drop any of their practices or their stubborn ways.
1 Kings 17:12 Then she said, By the life of the Lord your God, I have nothing but a little meal in my store, and a drop of oil in the bottle; and now I am getting two sticks together so that I may go in and make it ready for me and my son, so that we may have a meal before our death.
Nehemiah 6:9 For they all would have made us afraid, saying, Their hands shall be weakened from the work, that it not be done. But now, God, strengthen my hands.
Job 15:33 He is like a vine whose grapes do not come to full growth, or an olive-tree dropping its flowers.
Job 29:17 I broke the jaws of the unrighteous, and plucked the prey out of his teeth.
Job 29:22 After my words they spake not again; and my speech dropped upon them.
Job 36:28 Which the skies pour down and which drop on man abundantly.
Psalms 65:11 Thou crownest the year with thy goodness; and thy paths drop fatness.
Psalms 65:12 They drop upon the pastures of the wilderness: and the little hills rejoice on every side.
Psalms 75:8 For in the hand of the Lord is a cup, and the wine is red; it is well mixed, overflowing from his hand: he will make all the sinners of the earth take of it, even to the last drop.
Proverbs 3:20 By his knowledge, the depths were broken up, and the skies drop down the dew.
Proverbs 5:3 For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil:
Proverbs 17:14 The start of fighting is like the letting out of water: so give up before it comes to blows.
Ecclesiastes 10:18 By much slothfulness the building decayeth; and through idleness of the hands the house droppeth through.
Song of Songs 4:11 Thy lips, O my spouse, drop as the honeycomb: honey and milk are under thy tongue; and the smell of thy garments is like the smell of Lebanon.
Isaiah 33:9 The earth is sorrowing and wasting away; Lebanon is put to shame and has become waste; Sharon is like the Arabah; and in Bashan and Carmel the leaves are falling.
Isaiah 40:15 Behold, the nations are like a drop in a bucket, and are regarded as a speck of dust on a balance. Behold, he lifts up the islands like a very little thing.
Isaiah 45:8 Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.
Ezekiel 20:46 Son of man, set your face toward the south, and drop your word toward the south, and prophesy against the forest of the field in the South;
Ezekiel 21:2 Son of man, set your face toward Jerusalem, and drop your word toward the sanctuaries, and prophesy against the land of Israel;
Ezekiel 39:3 and I will strike your bow out of your left hand, and will cause your arrows to fall out of your right hand.
Joel 3:18 It will happen in that day, that the mountains will drop down sweet wine, the hills will flow with milk, all the brooks of Judah will flow with waters, and a fountain will come forth from the house of Yahweh, and will water the valley of Shittim.
Amos 7:16 Now therefore hear thou the word of the LORD: Thou sayest, Prophesy not against Israel, and drop not thy word against the house of Isaac.
Amos 9:13 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt.
Zechariah 8:12 "For the seed of peace and the vine will yield its fruit, and the ground will give its increase, and the heavens will give their dew; and I will cause the remnant of this people to inherit all these things.
LinksBible Concordance • Bible Dictionary • Bible Encyclopedia • Topical Bible • Bible Thesuarus