International Standard Bible EncyclopediaQUARTER
kwor'-ter: Literally, of course, "the fourth part," and so of the four "ends" (qatsah) in Jeremiah 49:36, and the King James Version of the four "corners" (so the Revised Version (British and American), gonia) in Revelation 20:8. Hence, "any part" and in this sense used freely for various words by the King James Version. the Revised Version (British and American) has usually dropped "quarter," but unfortunately has retained it in Numbers 34:3 Joshua 15:5; Joshua 18:14, 15, and introduced it in Joshua 18:12, 14, 20 for pe'ah, usually rendered "side." The result is very obscure. Elsewhere in the Revised Version (British and American) only in the phrase "from every quarter" (Genesis 19:4 Isaiah 56:11 Mark 1:45).
Greek3558. notos -- the south wind, hence the southern quarter
... the south wind, hence the southern quarter. Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: notos Phonetic Spelling: (not'-os) Short Definition: the south ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/3558.htm - 6k
3047. lips -- the southwest wind
1137. gonia -- an angle, a corner
2835. kodrantes -- quadrans, one-fourth of an as (a Roman monetary ...
3836. pantachothen -- everywhere
395. anatole -- a rising
296. amphodon -- a road around
237. allachothen -- from another place
5117. topos -- a place
5566. choros -- the northwest wind
Strong's Hebrew1366. gebul -- border, boundary, territory
... border, bound, coast, great, landmark, limit, quarter, space. ... The territory inclosed --
border, bound, coast, X great, landmark, limit, quarter, space. ...
/hebrew/1366.htm - 6k
6285. peah -- corner, side
7307. ruach -- breath, wind, spirit
5676. eber -- region across or beyond, side
3411. yerekah -- flank, side, extreme parts, recesses
6763. tsela -- rib, side
3671. kanaph -- wing, extremity
6828. tsaphon -- north
7097a. qatseh -- end, extremity
7097. qatseh -- end, extremity
The Roman Empire at the Time of the Birth of Christ. Upwards of a ...
After These Matters, Celsus Brings the Following Charges against ...
The Ratio of the Single to the Double Comes from the Perfection of ...
Modesty, the Flower of Manners
In Jerusalem when Herod Reigned
Accidental Causes of Corruption.
1 Cor. x. 25
The Church and the Heathen
Date and Place.
The Judges Said: we Know that a Light Shines through the Whole ...
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary1. (n.) One of four equal parts into which anything is divided, or is regarded as divided; a fourth part or portion; as, a quarter of a dollar, of a pound, of a yard, of an hour, etc.
2. (n.) The fourth of a hundred-weight, being 25 or 28 pounds, according as the hundredweight is reckoned at 100 or 112 pounds.
3. (n.) The fourth of a ton in weight, or eight bushels of grain; as, a quarter of wheat; also, the fourth part of a caldron of coal.
4. (n.) The fourth part of the moon's period, or monthly revolution; as, the first quarter after the change or full.
5. (n.) One limb of a quadruped with the adjacent parts; one fourth part of the carcass of a slaughtered animal, including a leg; as, the fore quarters; the hind quarters.
6. (n.) That part of a boot or shoe which forms the side, from the heel to the vamp.
7. (n.) That part on either side of a horse's hoof between the toe and heel, being the side of the coffin.
8. (n.) A term of study in a seminary, college, etc, etc.; properly, a fourth part of the year, but often longer or shorter.
9. (n.) The encampment on one of the principal passages round a place besieged, to prevent relief and intercept convoys.
10. (n.) The after-part of a vessel's side, generally corresponding in extent with the quarter-deck; also, the part of the yardarm outside of the slings.
11. (n.) One of the divisions of an escutcheon when it is divided into four portions by a horizontal and a perpendicular line meeting in the fess point.
12. (n.) A division of a town, city, or county; a particular district; a locality; as, the Latin quarter in Paris.
13. (n.) A small upright timber post, used in partitions; -- in the United States more commonly called stud.
14. (n.) The fourth part of the distance from one point of the compass to another, being the fourth part of 11 15', that is, about 2 49'; -- called also quarter point.
15. (v. t.) Proper station; specific place; assigned position; special location.
16. (n.) A station at which officers and men are posted in battle; -- usually in the plural.
17. (v. t.) Place of lodging or temporary residence; shelter; entertainment; -- usually in the plural.
18. (n.) A station or encampment occupied by troops; a place of lodging for soldiers or officers; as, winter quarters.
19. (v. t.) Treatment shown by an enemy; mercy; especially, the act of sparing the life a conquered enemy; a refraining from pushing one's advantage to extremes.
20. (v. t.) Friendship; amity; concord.
21. (v. i.) To lodge; to have a temporary residence.
ThesaurusQuarter (33 Occurrences)
... 1. (n.) One of four equal parts into which anything is divided, or is regarded as
divided; a fourth part or portion; as, a quarter of a dollar, of a pound, of ...
/q/quarter.htm - 21k
Measured (91 Occurrences)
Kiriath (34 Occurrences)
Jearim (19 Occurrences)
Maktesh (1 Occurrence)
Corner (60 Occurrences)
Kiriath-jearim (17 Occurrences)
Beth (115 Occurrences)
Ends (108 Occurrences)
Quart (1 Occurrence)
Bible ConcordanceQuarter (33 Occurrences)
Mark 1:45 But he went out, and began to publish it much, and to blaze abroad the matter, insomuch that Jesus could no more openly enter into the city, but was without in desert places: and they came to him from every quarter.
Genesis 19:4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the people from every quarter.
Exodus 29:40 and with the one lamb a tenth part of an ephah of fine flour mixed with the fourth part of a hin of beaten oil, and the fourth part of a hin of wine for a drink offering.
Leviticus 23:13 The meal offering with it shall be two tenth parts of an ephah of fine flour mingled with oil, an offering made by fire to Yahweh for a pleasant aroma; and the drink offering with it shall be of wine, the fourth part of a hin.
Numbers 15:4 then he who offers his offering shall offer to Yahweh a meal offering of a tenth part of an ephah of fine flour mixed with the fourth part of a hin of oil:
Numbers 15:5 and wine for the drink offering, the fourth part of a hin, you shall prepare with the burnt offering, or for the sacrifice, for each lamb.
Numbers 28:5 with the tenth part of an ephah of fine flour for a meal offering, mixed with the fourth part of a hin of beaten oil.
Numbers 28:7 Its drink offering shall be the fourth part of a hin for the one lamb. You shall pour out a drink offering of strong drink to Yahweh in the holy place.
Numbers 28:14 Their drink offerings shall be half a hin of wine for a bull, and the third part of a hin for the ram, and the fourth part of a hin for a lamb: this is the burnt offering of every month throughout the months of the year.
Numbers 34:3 then your south quarter shall be from the wilderness of Zin along by the side of Edom, and your south border shall be from the end of the Salt Sea eastward;
Numbers 35:5 And ye have measured from the outside of the city, the east quarter, two thousand by the cubit, and the south quarter, two thousand by the cubit, and the west quarter, two thousand by the cubit, and the north quarter, two thousand by the cubit; and the city 'is' in the midst; this is to them the suburbs of the cities.
Joshua 15:5 The east border was the Salt Sea, even to the end of the Jordan. The border of the north quarter was from the bay of the sea at the end of the Jordan.
Joshua 18:12 Their border on the north quarter was from the Jordan. The border went up to the side of Jericho on the north, and went up through the hill country westward. It ended at the wilderness of Beth Aven.
Joshua 18:14 The border extended, and turned around on the west quarter southward, from the mountain that lies before Beth Horon southward; and ended at Kiriath Baal (the same is Kiriath Jearim), a city of the children of Judah. This was the west quarter.
Joshua 18:15 The south quarter was from the farthest part of Kiriath Jearim. The border went out westward, and went out to the spring of the waters of Nephtoah.
Joshua 18:20 The Jordan was its border on the east quarter. This was the inheritance of the children of Benjamin, by the borders around it, according to their families.
1 Samuel 9:8 The servant answered Saul again, and said, "Behold, I have in my hand the fourth part of a shekel of silver. I will give that to the man of God, to tell us our way."
2 Kings 6:25 There was a great famine in Samaria. Behold, they besieged it, until a donkey's head was sold for eighty pieces of silver, and the fourth part of a kab of dove's dung for five pieces of silver.
2 Kings 22:14 So Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam, and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asaiah, went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe (now she lived in Jerusalem in the second quarter); and they talked with her.
2 Chronicles 34:22 So Hilkiah, and they whom the king had commanded, went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tokhath, the son of Hasrah, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she lived in Jerusalem in the second quarter;) and they spoke to her to that effect.
Nehemiah 9:3 They stood up in their place, and read in the book of the law of Yahweh their God a fourth part of the day; and another fourth part they confessed, and worshiped Yahweh their God.
Nehemiah 9:22 Moreover thou gavest them kingdoms and peoples, which thou didst allot after their portions: so they possessed the land of Sihon, even the land of the king of Heshbon, and the land of Og king of Bashan.
Esther 4:14 For if you remain silent now, then relief and deliverance will come to the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. Who knows if you haven't come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"
Isaiah 47:15 Thus shall the things be to you in which you have labored: those who have trafficked with you from your youth shall wander everyone to his quarter; there shall be none to save you.
Isaiah 56:11 Yes, the dogs are greedy, they can never have enough; and these are shepherds who can't understand: they have all turned to their own way, each one to his gain, from every quarter.
Jeremiah 50:26 Come against her from the utmost border; open her store-houses; cast her up as heaps, and destroy her utterly; let nothing of her be left.
Jeremiah 51:31 One runner will run to meet another, and one messenger to meet another, to show the king of Babylon that his city is taken on every quarter:
Ezekiel 47:15 And this 'is' the border of the land at the north quarter; from the great sea, the way of Hethlon, at the coming in to Zedad:
Ezekiel 47:17 And the border from the sea hath been Hazar-Enan, the border of Damascus, and Zaphon at the north, and the border of Hamath: and 'this is' the north quarter.
Ezekiel 47:18 And the east quarter 'is' from between Havran, and Damascus, and Gilead, and the land of Israel, 'to' the Jordan; from the border over-against the eastern sea ye measure: and 'this is' the east quarter.
Ezekiel 47:19 And the south quarter southward 'is' from Tamar unto the waters of Meriboth-Kadesh, the stream unto the great sea: and 'this is' the south quarter southward.
Ezekiel 47:20 And the west quarter 'is' the great sea, from the border till over-against the coming in to Hamath: this 'is' the west quarter.
Zephaniah 1:10 In that day, says Yahweh, there will be the noise of a cry from the fish gate, a wailing from the second quarter, and a great crashing from the hills.
LinksBible Concordance • Bible Dictionary • Bible Encyclopedia • Topical Bible • Bible Thesuarus