Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch.
1. As Noah's name signifies comforter and restorer, which shows Lamech's faith to put that name upon him (Genesis 5:29; Genesis 8:21). Herein he typified Christ, our grand Comforter and Restorer of the new world, as Noah was of the old.
2. Noah was a preacher of righteousness (2 Peter 2:5). So also is Christ both preaching and purchasing, yea, procuring everlasting righteousness (Daniel 9:24).
3. As Noah found grace in the sight of God, both for himself and for all his family (Genesis 6:8; Genesis 7:1; Hebrews 11:7), so did Christ for Himself (Matthew 3:17; Matthew 17:5), and for all his household of faith, for so many as God hath given him (John 17:2), they are all accepted in the beloved One (Ephesians 1:6). Yea, He is the Saviour of all men, especially of them that believe (1 Timothy 4:10; Luke 2:52).
4. As Noah was the builder of the ark, so is Christ of the Church, which is called His workmanship (Ephesians 2:10, etc.). Is not Christ the carpenter (Mark 6:3), to hew, plane, cement, and clinch us close together? etc.
5. As Noah was long in building the ark, even a hundred and twenty years, so is Christ long in building His Church, even some thousands of years.
6. As Noah used many carpenters that were instrumental to save others, but not themselves, so likewise doth Christ (Matthew 7:22, 23). Some ministers Christ employs that may save —
(1) Others, not themselves.
(2) Themselves, not others.
(3) Neither themselves, nor others.
(4) Both themselves, and others (1 Timothy 4:16).
7. As when Noah had finished the ark, the destruction of the old world by water followed immediately; so when Christ hath gathered in all His elect, and completed His Church, then will the destruction of this present world by fire presently pass upon it. Add unto all these —
8. As Noah's presence in the ark did secure his household all the time of its tossing, and landed them safely (after the destruction of the old world) in another; so Christ's presence with His Church, while she is tossed with tempests and not comforted (Isaiah 54:11), doth secure her from all evil, for He keeps the ensuring office.As there is congruity 'twixt this type and antitype, to wit, Christ and Noah, so there is some disparity.
1. As Noah preached to the old world and converted none, but Christ converted many in this new world.
2. Noah saved his household, but only temporarily, but Christ saves the household of faith, spiritually and eternally.
3. Noah had no better to send out than a raven and a dove, but Christ sent out better things, such as the law and the gospel, the former to work fear and the latter love.
4. Noah was insufficient to complete salvation for his family, as he was unable of himself to shut the great door of the ark after him; but Christ sayeth to the utmost, by His own power (Hebrews 7:25), rebuking storms and procuring calms, all in His own name.
5. As Noah's self was a type of Christ, so was his ark, wherein alone salvation was found from that deluge of waters, accordingly in Christ alone can be found salvation (of all sorts, temporal, spiritual, and eternal) from the deluge of Divine wrath. and justice of God for the sin of man. Beside Him, there is no Saviour (Isaiah 43:11). As there was but one ark, so there must be but one mediator; no cock boats were to attend this ark (Acts 27:30).
Parallel VersesKJV: Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.