Smith's Bible DictionaryGospel Of Luke
The third Gospel is ascribed, by the general consent of ancient Christendom, to "the beloved physician," Luke, the friend and companion of the apostle Paul.
- Date of the Gospel of Luke . --From (Acts 1:1) it is clear that the Gospel described "the former treatise" was written before the Acts of the Apostles; but how much earlier is uncertain. Perhaps it was written at Caesarea during St. Paul's imprisonment there, A.D. 58-60.
- Place where the Gospel was written. --If the time has been rightly indicated, the place would be Caesarea.
- Origin of the Gospel. --The preface, contained in the first four verses of the Gospel, describes the object of its writer. Here are several facts to be observed. There were many narratives of the life of our Lord Current at the early time when Luke wrote his Gospel. The ground of fitness for the task St. Luke places in his having carefully followed out the whole course of events from the beginning. He does not claim the character of an eye-witness from the first but possibly he may have been a witness of some part of our Lord's doings. The ancient opinion that Luke wrote his Gospel under the influence of Paul rests on the authority of Irenreus, Tertulian, Origen and Eusebius. The four verses could not have been put at the head of a history composed under the exclusive guidance of Paul or of any one apostle and as little could they have introduced a gospel simply communicated by another. The truth seems to be that St. Luke, seeking information from every quarter, sought it from the preaching of his be loved master St. Paul; and the apostle in his turn employed the knowledge acquired from other sources by his disciple.
- Purpose for which the Gospel was written. --The evangelist professes to write that Theophilus "might know the certainty of those things wherein he had been instructed." ch, (Luke 1:4) This Theophilus was probably a native of Italy and perhaps an inhabitant of Rome, in tracing St. Paul's journey to Rome, places which an Italian might be supposed not to know are described minutely, (Acts 27:8,12,16) but when he comes to Sicily and Italy this is neglected. Hence it would appear that the person for whom Luke wrote in the first instance was a Gentile reader; and accordingly we find traces in the Gospel of a leaning toward Gentile rather than Jewish converts.
- Language and style of the Gospel. --It has never been doubted that the Gospel was written in Greek, whilst Hebraisms are frequent, classical idioms and Greek compound words abound, for which there is classical authority. (Prof. Gregory, in "Why Four Gospels" says that Luke wrote for Greek readers, and therefore the character and needs of the Greeks furnish the key to this Gospel. The Greek was the representation of reason and humanity. He looked upon himself as having the mission of perfecting man. He was intellectual, cultured, not without hope of a higher world. Luke's Gospel therefore represented the character and career of Christ as answering the conception of a perfect and divine humanity. Reason, beauty righteousness and truth are exhibited as they meet in Jesus in their full splendor. Jesus was the Saviour of all men, redeeming them to a perfect and cultured manhood. --ED.)
Greek3065. Loukas -- Luke, a Christian ...
Loukas Phonetic Spelling: (loo-kas') Short Definition: Lucas, Luke
Definition: Lucas, Luke
, Christian physician and writer of the Third Gospel
and Acts. ... //strongsnumbers.com/greek2/3065.htm - 6k
2321. Theophilos -- "friend of God," Theophilus, the addressee of ...
... Spelling: (theh-of'-il-os) Short Definition: Theophilus Definition: Theophilus,
a friend of Luke of equestrian rank, to whom the Gospel and Acts are dedicated. ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/2321.htm - 6k
The Gospel of Luke, An Exposition
The Gospel of Luke, An Exposition. <. The Gospel of Luke, An Exposition
Charles R. Erdman. Produced by Stephen Hope, Fox ...
//christianbookshelf.org/erdman/the gospel of luke an exposition/
The Gospel of Luke
... The Gospel of Luke. CONTENTS Like the ... Jerome agrees. Athanasius states
that the Gospel of Luke was dictated by the apostle Paul. ...
/.../drummond/introduction to the new testament/the gospel of luke.htm
The Preface to the Gospel. Luke 1:1-4
The Gospel of Luke, An Exposition. <. ... I. THE PREFACE TO THE GOSPEL.
LUKE 1:1-4. 1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand ...
/.../erdman/the gospel of luke an exposition/i the preface to the.htm
The Gospel Feast, Luke 14 16 &C.
... Hymns. Book 3. Prepared for the Lord's Supper. Hymn 3:12. The gospel feast,
Luke 14. 16 &c. 1 [How rich are thy provisions Lord! ...
/.../watts/hymns and spiritual songs/hymn 3 12 the gospel feast.htm
The Gospel Feast. Luke 14:16Ff.
... Hymns, Book II HYMN 12 The gospel feast. Luke 14:16ff. LM The gospel feaLuke
14:16ff. [How rich are thy provisions, Lord! Thy table furnished from above! ...
/.../watts/the psalms and hymns of isaac watts/hymn 12 the gospel feast.htm
The Gospel of Luke
... The Gospel of Luke. The numerical position which ... Luke's Gospel is concerned
with the Humanity of our Lord. In Matthew, Christ is ...
//christianbookshelf.org/pink/why four gospels/the gospel of luke.htm
The Gospel of Luke, An Exposition
The Gospel of Luke, An Exposition. <. ... Title Page. The Gospel of Luke An Exposition.
By. Charles R. Erdman. Professor of Practical Theology. ...
//christianbookshelf.org/erdman/the gospel of luke an exposition/title page.htm
The Gospel According to Luke.
... Exegetical Fragments. I."A Commentary on the Beginning of Ecclesiastes. II."The
Gospel According to Luke. An Interpretation."Chap. XXII.42-48. Ver.42. ...
/.../dionysius/the works of dionysius/ii the gospel according to luke.htm
Of Luke's Gospel, and Specially of the Harmony Between Its ...
... the Book of the Acts of the Apostles. 9. Next in succession, therefore,
let us now go over the Gospel of Luke in regular order. ...
/.../augustine/the harmony of the gospels/chapter viii of lukes gospel and.htm
St. Luke's Gospel, Selected by Marcion as his Authority, and ...
... Chapter II."St. Luke's Gospel, Selected by Marcion as His Authority, and Mutilated
by Him. The Other Gospels Equally Authoritative. ... Luke's Gospel Alone. ...
/.../the five books against marcion/chapter ii st lukes gospel selected.htm
Gospel According To the Hebrews
Gospel Of John
Gospel Of Luke
Gospel Of Mark
Gospel Of Matthew
Gospel: Called the New Covenant
Gospel: Called: Doctrine According to Godliness
Gospel: Called: Form of Sound Words
Gospel: Called: Glorious Gospel of Christ
Gospel: Called: Gospel of Christ
Gospel: Called: Gospel of God
Gospel: Called: Gospel of Jesus Christ
Gospel: Called: Gospel of Peace
Gospel: Called: Gospel of Salvation
Gospel: Called: Gospel of the Kingdom
Gospel: Called: Ministration of the Spirit
Gospel: Called: Mystery of Christ
Gospel: Called: Mystery of the Gospel
Gospel: Called: Preaching of Jesus Christ
Gospel: Called: The Dispensation of the Grace of God
Gospel: Called: The Grace of God
Gospel: Called: The Kingdom of God
Gospel: Called: Word of Christ
Gospel: Called: Word of Faith
Gospel: Called: Word of God
Gospel: Called: Word of Life
Gospel: Called: Word of Reconciliation
Gospel: Called: Word of Salvation
Gospel: Called: Word of Truth
Gospel: Compared to a Feast
Gospel: Compared to a Householder
Gospel: Compared to a Mustard Seed
Gospel: Compared to a Pearl of Great Price
Gospel: Compared to a Treasure Hidden in a Field
Gospel: Compared to Good Seed
Gospel: Compared to Leaven (Yeast)
Gospel: Prophecies Relating To
Gospel: Unclassified Scriptures Relating To
The Gospel is Called the Dispensation of the Grace of God
The Gospel is Called the Doctrine According to Godliness
The Gospel is Called the Form of Sound Words
The Gospel is Called the Glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ
The Gospel is Called the Gospel of Christ
The Gospel is Called the Gospel of God
The Gospel is Called the Gospel of Peace
The Gospel is Called the Gospel of Salvation
The Gospel is Called the Gospel of the Grace of God
The Gospel is Called the Gospel of the Kingdom
The Gospel is Called the Ministration of the Spirit
The Gospel is Called the Mystery of the Gospel
The Gospel is Called the Preaching of Jesus Christ
The Gospel is Called the Word of Christ
The Gospel is Called the Word of Faith
The Gospel is Called the Word of God
The Gospel is Called the Word of Grace
The Gospel is Called the Word of Life
The Gospel is Called the Word of Reconciliation
The Gospel is Called the Word of Salvation
The Gospel is Called the Word of Truth
The Gospel is Everlasting
The Gospel is Glorious
The Gospel is Good Tidings of Great Joy for all People
The Gospel is Hid to Them That are Lost
The Gospel is the Power of God to Salvation
The Gospel: Awful Consequences of not Obeying
The Gospel: Be Careful not to Hinder
The Gospel: Brings Peace
The Gospel: Exhibits the Grace of God
The Gospel: Foretold
The Gospel: Let Him Who Preached Another, be Accursed
The Gospel: Life and Immortality are Brought to Light by Jesus Through
The Gospel: Ministers Have a Stewardship to Preach
The Gospel: Must be Believed
The Gospel: Preached Beforehand to Abraham
The Gospel: Preached by Christ
The Gospel: Preached to Every Creature
The Gospel: Preached to The Gentiles
The Gospel: Preached to The Jews First
The Gospel: Preached to The Poor
The Gospel: Preached Under the Old Testament
The Gospel: Produces Hope
The Gospel: Profession of, Attended by Afflictions
The Gospel: Promises to Sufferers
The Gospel: Rejection of, by Many, Foretold
The Gospel: Rejection of, by the Jews, a Means of Blessing to The
The Gospel: Saints Have Fellowship In
The Gospel: Testifies to the Final Judgment
The Gospel: The Knowledge of the Glory of God is By
The Gospel: There is Fulness of Blessing In
The Gospel: Those Who Receive, should Adhere to the Truth of
The Gospel: Those Who Receive, should Earnestly Contend for the Faith of
The Gospel: Those Who Receive, should Have Their Conversation Becoming
The Gospel: Those Who Receive, should Live in Subjection To
The Gospel: Those Who Receive, should not be Ashamed of
The Gospel: Those Who Receive, should Sacrifice Friends and Property For
The Gospel: Those Who Receive, should Sacrifice Life Itself For
• Bible Dictionary
• Bible Encyclopedia
• Topical Bible
• Bible Thesuarus