First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.…
"My God," is —
1. The Author of my being and my well-being.
2. The object of my worship.
3. My covenant God in Christ. The text is the language of —
I. FAITH IN CHRIST. God is only ours through faith in Him, only according to the new covenant (Jeremiah 31:33; Hebrews 8:10). Receiving Jesus and trusting in Him God becomes our God (John 1:12; Galatians 3:26).
II. LOVE. That is our God which we most love and esteem (Psalm 73:25).
III. TRUST (Psalm 18:2). The object of our confidence is our God (Job 31:24; Habakkuk 1:16).
IV. SUBJECTION, DEDICATION, OBEDIENCE (Isaiah 44:5; Acts 27:23). Conclusion:
1. Thanksgivings to be presented to God as our God in Christ.
2. The gospel teaches us not only to say "our Father," but "my God."
3. God as our God, the most glorious and only satisfying portion.
(T. Robinson, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.