In whom also we have obtained an inheritance…
I. THE WILL OF GOD IS THE SOVEREIGN GUIDE OF ALL THINGS, BOTH NATURAL AND SPIRITUAL, IN THE WORLD AND IN THE CHURCH.
1. His sovereign rill is that His people should be saved (Jeremiah 23:6; Jeremiah 30:10; Isaiah 49:25).
2. That they should be saved by coming to Christ (John 6:37; Romans 5:1; 1 Corinthians 15:57).
3. That they should be holy (1 Thessalonians 4:7; Hebrews 12:10, 14).
II. THE DIVINE WILL IS THE RESULT OF GOD'S COUNSEL.
1. This counsel was Divine (Psalm 89:1-4; 2 Timothy 1:9).
2. It was a wise counsel (1 Corinthians 1:24; 1 Corinthians 2:7; Ephesians 3:9-11).
3. It was an efficient counsel (Isaiah 46:10; Isaiah 53:10; Psalm 105:3; Ecclesiastes 3:14).
III. THAT THE TRIUNE JEHOVAH WORKETH ALL THINGS ACCORDING TO THE PURPOSE OF HIS OWN WILL.
1. This is evident in the choice of His people (2 Thessalonians 2:13; Titus 3:5).
2. He works out their new birth by the Spirit (Ephesians 2:10).
3. He works all things for the preservation of His people and their comfort by faith (Romans 8:28; John 1:12; Acts 16:31).
(T. B. Baker.)
Parallel VersesKJV: In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: