|Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary|
21:19-26 Amon profaned God's house with his idols; and God suffered his house to be polluted with his blood. How unrighteous soever they were that did it, God was righteous who suffered it to be done. Now was a happy change from one of the worst, to one of the best of the kings of Judah. Once more Judah was tried with a reformation. Whether the Lord bears long with presumptuous offenders, or speedily cuts them off in their sins, all must perish who persist in refusing to walk in his ways.
Verse 21. - And he walked in all the way that his father walked in. There was not a single one among the early wickednesses of Manasseh which Amen did not imitate. The details of Josiah's reformation (2 Kings 23:4-24) show that under Amon
(1) the Asherah or "grove" maintained its place in the temple building;
(2) the two idolatrous altars stood in the two courts;
(3) the temple was the scene of the worship of Baal, Ashtoreth, and the host of heaven;
(4) the unchaste priestesses of the Syrian goddess, with the male partners in their guilt, were lodged in houses close by the house of the Lord;
(5) chariots and horses dedicated to the sun were maintained at one of the temple gates;
(6) the fire of Tophet burnt continually in the valley of Hinnom, and children were there "passed through the fire to Moloch;"
(7) an idolatrous worship held possession of all the high places all ever Judaea and Samaria, and idolatrous priests, deriving their appointment from the king, burnt incense in the high places to Baal, to the sun, the moon, the planets, and all the host of heaven; and
(8) magic and necromancy were practiced openly under royal sanction throughout the length and breadth of the land. And served the idols that his father served - as Baal, Ashtoreth, Moloch, the Asherah, and others - and worshipped them.
Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
And he walked in all the ways that his father walked in,.... In his wicked way, his idolatry, witchcraft, and murders:
and served the idols that his father served, and worshipped them; Baal, Ashtoreth, and all the host of heaven, and all the carved images his father made, which it seems he only removed, but did not break in pieces, 2 Chronicles 33:22.
2 Kings 21:21 Parallel Commentaries
2 Kings 21:21 NIV
2 Kings 21:21 NLT
2 Kings 21:21 ESV
2 Kings 21:21 NASB
2 Kings 21:21 KJV
Bible Hub: Online Parallel Bible