Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary1. (n.) A line inclosing or forming the extremity of a piece of ground, or field of combat; hence, in the plural (lists), the ground or field enclosed for a race or combat.
2. (v. t.) To enclose for combat; as, to list a field.
3. (v. i.) To hearken; to attend; to listen.
4. (v. t.) To listen or hearken to.
5. (v. i.) To desire or choose; to please.
6. (v. i.) To lean; to incline; as, the ship lists to port.
7. (n.) Inclination; desire.
8. (n.) An inclination to one side; as, the ship has a list to starboard.
9. (n.) A strip forming the woven border or selvedge of cloth, particularly of broadcloth, and serving to strengthen it; hence, a strip of cloth; a fillet.
10. (n.) A limit or boundary; a border.
11. (n.) The lobe of the ear; the ear itself.
12. (n.) A stripe.
13. (n.) A roll or catalogue, that is row or line; a record of names; as, a list of names, books, articles; a list of ratable estate.
14. (n.) A little square molding; a fillet; -- called also listel.
15. (n.) A narrow strip of wood, esp. sapwood, cut from the edge of a plank or board.
16. (n.) A piece of woolen cloth with which the yarns are grasped by a workman.
17. (n.) The first thin coat of tin.
18. (n.) A wire like rim of tin left on an edge of the plate after it is coated.
19. (v. t.) To sew together, as strips of cloth, so as to make a show of colors, or form a border.
20. (v. t.) To cover with list, or with strips of cloth; to put list on; as, to list a door; to stripe as if with list.
21. (v. t.) To enroll; to place or register in a list.
22. (v. t.) To engage, as a soldier; to enlist.
23. (v. t.) To cut away a narrow strip, as of sapwood, from the edge of; as, to list a board.
International Standard Bible EncyclopediaLIST
A variant of "lust" (see LUST), meaning "to wish," found in the King James Version of Matthew 17:12 parallel Mark 9:13 John 3:8, as translation of thelo, and in James 3:4 as translation of boulomai. The last case the English Revised Version has rendered "will," and the American Standard Revised Version has made the same change throughout. The word is obsolete in modern English, but John 3:8 is still used proverbially, "The wind bloweth where it listeth."
Greek2639. katalego -- to lay down, choose out
... lay down, choose out. Part of Speech: Verb Transliteration: katalego Phonetic Spelling:
(kat-al-eg'-o) Short Definition: I enter in a list, register Definition ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/2639.htm - 6k
1014. boulomai -- to will
583. apographo -- to copy, enroll
1280. diaporeo -- to be greatly perplexed or at a loss
2309. thelo -- to will, wish
Strong's Hebrew3187. yachas -- to enroll oneself or be enrolled by genealogy
... enrolled in the genealogies (1), enrolled in the genealogy (1), enrolled genealogically
(1), genealogical enrollment (4), genealogical list (1), genealogically ...
/hebrew/3187.htm - 6k
4557. mispar -- number, tally
3188. yachas -- genealogy
An Alphabetical List of ME Preachers
List of Contents.
List of Illustrations
List of Illustrations
List of Authorities
List of Writers.
An Old Subscription List
List of Characters and Places
List of Bible Passages
List of Illustrations. Page Union Church
ThesaurusList (17 Occurrences)
... 2. (vt) To enclose for combat; as, to list a field. ... 7. (n.) Inclination; desire.
8. (n.) An inclination to one side; as, the ship has a list to starboard. ...
/l/list.htm - 14k
Asahel (17 Occurrences)
Adullam (10 Occurrences)
Shishak (6 Occurrences)
Bible ConcordanceList (17 Occurrences)
Luke 2:5 To be put on the list with Mary, his future wife, who was about to become a mother.
1 Timothy 5:9 Let a widow be put upon the list, being of not less than sixty years, having been wife of one man,
1 Timothy 5:11 But refuse younger widows, for when they have grown wanton against Christ, they desire to marry;
Numbers 3:40 Yahweh said to Moses, "Number all the firstborn males of the children of Israel from a month old and upward, and take the number of their names.
Joshua 17:11 Manasseh had three heights in Issachar, in Asher Beth Shean and its towns, and Ibleam and its towns, and the inhabitants of Dor and its towns, and the inhabitants of Endor and its towns, and the inhabitants of Taanach and its towns, and the inhabitants of Megiddo and its towns.
Judges 8:14 And taking prisoner a young man of the people of Succoth, he got from him, in answer to his questions, a list of the chiefs of Succoth and the responsible men, seventy-seven men.
1 Chronicles 5:7 And his brothers by their families, when the list of their generations was made up: the chief, Jeiel, and Zechariah,
1 Chronicles 9:9 And their brothers, in the list of their generations, nine hundred and fifty-six. All these men were heads of families, listed by the names of their fathers.
1 Chronicles 11:11 This is the list of David's men of war: Ishbaal, the son of a Hachmonite, the chief of the three: he put to death three hundred at one time with his spear.
1 Chronicles 23:14 And the sons of Moses, the man of God, were put into the list of the tribe of Levi.
1 Chronicles 25:1 Moreover, David and the captains of the army set apart for the service certain of the sons of Asaph, and of Heman, and of Jeduthun, who should prophesy with harps, with stringed instruments, and with cymbals: and the number of those who did the work according to their service was:
1 Chronicles 27:1 Now the children of Israel after their number, the heads of fathers' houses and the captains of thousands and of hundreds, and their officers who served the king, in any matter of the divisions which came in and went out month by month throughout all the months of the year-of every division were twenty-four thousand.
Ezra 2:2 who came with Zerubbabel, Jeshua, Nehemiah, Seraiah, Reelaiah, Mordecai, Bilshan, Mispar, Bigvai, Rehum, Baanah. The number of the men of the people of Israel:
Ezra 8:3 Of the sons of Shecaniah; of the sons of Parosh, Zechariah; and with him were listed a hundred and fifty males.
Nehemiah 7:7 who came with Zerubbabel, Jeshua, Nehemiah, Azariah, Raamiah, Nahamani, Mordecai, Bilshan, Mispereth, Bigvai, Nehum, Baanah. The number of the men of the people of Israel:
Psalms 56:8 You number my wanderings. You put my tears into your bottle. Aren't they in your book?
Ezekiel 13:9 And my hand will be against the prophets who see visions without substance and who make false use of secret arts: they will not be in the secret of my people, and they will not be recorded in the list of the children of Israel, and they will not come into the land of Israel; and it will be clear to you that I am the Lord.
LinksBible Concordance • Bible Dictionary • Bible Encyclopedia • Topical Bible • Bible Thesuarus