I. SOME ARE CALLED UPON TO ENDURE REPEATED BEREAVEMENTS. Households there are which have been visited again and again by the angel of death. Youthful lives are snapped asunder; youthful hearts are left desolate. Some are called upon to endure prolonged age, whilst children and friends, the joy of their hearts, are taken from them. Here and there is one who can exclaim, "All thy waves and thy billows are gone over me."
II. FOR SUCH GOD HAS PROMISES OF GRACE AND PURPOSES OF MERCY.
1. The assurances of the Divine remembrance and kindness. "The mountains shall depart," etc.
2. The sympathy of the Divine High Priest. The miracle of the raising of the widow's son at Nain is an illustration.
3. Grace of submission shall be imparted. "The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."
4. Intentions of Divine wisdom shall be accomplished. Thus shall the heart be weaned from earth; thus shall Christian character be matured; thus shall saints be prepared for glory. How can the vicissitudes of life be borne by those who are strangers to Christian principles, to Christian consolations, to Christian hopes? May ours be the happy lot of the Christian, from whom (as from all the children of men) the future is hidden; but who knows himself to be the object of a Father's love and a Savior's care, and to whose heart comes day by day a voice from heaven, saying, "I will never leave thee! I will never forsake thee!" - T.
Mahlon and Chilion died also both of them.
(H. A. Hall, B. D.)
1. That many afflictions do attend the most gracious souls (Psalm 34:19).
2. Crosses seldom come single upon God's servants.
3. God did wonderfully support her in all these her great trials, and left her upon Scripture record as a pattern of patience unto all succeeding generations.
LinksRuth 1:5 NIV
Ruth 1:5 NLT
Ruth 1:5 ESV
Ruth 1:5 NASB
Ruth 1:5 KJV
Ruth 1:5 Bible Apps
Ruth 1:5 Parallel
Ruth 1:5 Biblia Paralela
Ruth 1:5 Chinese Bible
Ruth 1:5 French Bible
Ruth 1:5 German Bible
Ruth 1:5 Commentaries