For I am in a strait between two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:…
I. WHAT IS IT TO BE WITH CHRIST? It implies —
1. Our being where He is (John 14:2-4).
2. Our enjoying what He enjoys.
(1) Clear knowledge of God (John 17:3; 1 Corinthians 13:12).
(2) Perfect love.
(3) Eternal joy (Philippians 4:1).
II. HOW IS IT BETTER?
1. In its immunities.
(1) From sin (1 Corinthians 15:30).
(a) Errors in judgment (1 Corinthians 13:12).
(b) Disorder in affections.
(c) Infirmity in actions.
(2) From misery (Revelation 21:4).
2. In its enjoyments, which are better; because —
(1) More real (Proverbs 23:5).
(2) More spiritual (Matthew 11:28-29).
(3) More satisfying (Psalm 16:11; Psalm 17:15).
(4) More certain (Isaiah 55:3).
(5) More lasting (2 Corinthians 5:1).
III. USES. Labour to get to Christ.
(1) Repent (Luke 13:3).
(2) Believe on Christ (Acts 16:31).
(3) Labour after true grace, without which you shall not (Hebrews 12:14), and you cannot enjoy God.
(4) Use the means appointed (Romans 10:17).
(1) Labour after it. Consider —
(a) It is possible.
(b) It is desired by God (Ezekiel 33:11).
(c) You will repent ere long unless you do.
(2) Seek it first.
(a) It is a thing of the greatest concern (Luke 10:42).
(b) It is the only thing needful (Luke 10:42).
(3) Labour after it now (Psalm 95:8-9). Consider —
(a) Your time is short.
(b) The work is great.
(c) You know not when you will be called to account.
Parallel VersesKJV: For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: