1 Peter 1:3-5
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ…
I. BY WHAT MEANS NO CHRISTIANS COME TO PERSEVERE?
1. By the help of ordinances; prayer, word, sacraments.
2. By the sacred influence and concurrence of the ,Spirit.
3. By Christ's daily intercession.
II. BY WHAT ARGUMENTS MAY WE PROVE THE SAINTS' PERSEVERANCE?
1. "From the truth of God." God hath both asserted and promised it (1 John 2:9, 27; John 10:28; Jeremiah 32:40; Hebrews 2:19; Malachi 2:16).
2. From the power of God.
3. From God's electing love.
4. From believers' union with Christ.
5. From the nature of a purchase. Would Christ, think ye, have shed His blood that we might believe in Him for a while, and then fall away?
6. From a believer's "victory over the world."
III. WHAT MOTIVES AND INCENTIVES ARE THERE TO MAKE CHRISTIANS PERSEVERE?
1. It is the crown and glory of a Christian to persevere. The excellency of a building is not in having the first stone laid, but when it is finished. The excellency of a Christian is, when he hath finished the work of faith.
2. You are within a few days' march of heaven.
3. How sad not to persevere in holiness! You expose yourselves to the reproaches of men and the rebukes of God.
4. The promises of mercy are annexed only to perseverance (Revelation 3:5; Luke 22:28).
IV. WHAT EXPEDIENTS OR MEANS MAY BE USED FOR A CHRISTIAN'S PERSEVERANCE?
1. Take heed of those things which will make you fall away.
(3) An evil heart of unbelief.
2. If you would persevere in sanctity —
(1) Look that you enter into religion upon a right ground; be well grounded in the distinct knowledge of God; you must know the love of the Father, the merit of the Son, and the efficacy of the Holy Ghost.
(2) Get a real work of grace in your heart. Nothing will hold out but grace; paint will fall off.
(3) Be very sincere.
(4) Be humble.
(5) Cherish the grace of faith.
(6) Seek God's power to help.
(7) Set before your eyes the noble examples of those who have persevered in religion.
Parallel VersesKJV: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,