1 Peter 1:3-5
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ…
I. MAN BLESSETH GOD THREE WAYS.
1. In his heart, when, refreshed with God's favour and inflamed with the joys of His presence, he doth lift up his heart with affection, striving to laud God and acknowledge His mercy.
2. In his tongue, when he taketh to him words, and openeth his lips to confess and praise God either in secret or openly.
3. In his works, and that —
(1) When he sets up memorials of God's great works or deliverances.
(2) When he receives the sacrament, setting himself apart to celebrate the memory of Christ's death.
(3) By the obedience of his life, striving to glorify God in a holy conversation.
(4) And lastly, by showing mercy, and thereby causing others to bless God.
II. GREAT REASON HATH MAN TO BLESS GOD.
1. For God is blessedness itself, and whither should the water run but into the sea, from whence it is originally taken.
2. Besides, the Lord hath required our praise, as the chief means of glorifying Him.
3. And He hath blessed us, and therefore we have great reason to bless Him. He hath blessed us in the creatures, in His Son, by His angels, by His ministers; blessed us in the blessings of the gospel, blessed us in His house, and in our own houses, in our sabbaths, sacraments, the Word, prayer, etc., blessed us in our souls, bodies, states, names, etc.
Parallel VersesKJV: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,