1 Peter 2:9-10
But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people…
I. THE SPHERE IN WHICH WE ARE TO SERVE GOD. In "His marvellous light." There is —
1. The light of His truth (Psalm 118:29; Psalm 119:105, 130).
2. The light of His favour (Psalm 4:6; Numbers 6:26).
3. The light of His holiness (Ephesians 5:8; 1 John 1:7).
II. IN WHAT DOES THIS SERVICE CONSIST?
1. In a life of gratitude (Hebrews 13:15; Ephesians 5:20).
2. In a life of testimony (1 John 1:1-3; Philippians 2:15, 16).
3. In a life of godliness. Show forth the excellences of Christ (2 Corinthians 4:10; Philippians 1:11).
III. WHAT ARE THE CHIEF HINDRANCES TO THAT SERVICE?
1. Some are afraid to begin, lest they should fall back (1 Corinthians 1:8; Jude 1:24; Psalm 56:13).
2. Some are hindered by a feeling of shame (Mark 8:38; Romans 1:16).
3. Others are idle, because they do not see their resources (Philippians 4:13; Ephesians 1:3).
(E. H. Hopkins.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
WEB: But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, that you may proclaim the excellence of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light: