1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Charity suffers long, and is kind; charity envies not; charity braggs not itself, is not puffed up,…
I. THE NATURE OF ENVY.
1. A spirit of dissatisfaction with, and opposition to, the prosperity and happiness of others as compared with our own (Esther 5:13; Numbers 11:29; Genesis 37:11).
2. A dislike of their persons for it (Esther 5:9; Genesis 37:4, 5).
II. WHEREIN A CHRISTIAN SPIRIT IS THE OPPOSITE OF SUCH A SPIRIT. A Christian spirit —
1. Disallows of the exercise and expressions of such a spirit.
2. Tends to mortify its principle and disposition in the heart (Philippians 4:11).
3. Disposes us to rejoice in the prosperity of others (Romans 12:15).
III. WHY IT IS THAT A CHRISTIAN SPIRIT IS THUS THE OPPOSITE OF A SPIRIT OF ENVY.
1. A spirit and practice entirely contrary to an envious spirit is much insisted on in the precepts of Christ and His apostles (Romans 13:13; 1 Corinthians 3:3; 2 Corinthians 12:20; Galatians 5:21, etc.).
2. These precepts are strongly enforced —
(1) By the Christian scheme of doctrine. For there we are told how God has not begrudged us His well-beloved Son, nor the highest honour and blessedness in and through Him. How far Christ was from begruding us anything that He could do for or give us!
(2) By its history. And particularly is this true of the history of the life of Christ, and the example He has set us.
3. The true spirit of Christian love will dispose us to yield to the authority of these precepts, and to the influence of the motives enforcing them.
(1) By its own immediate tendency; for love does not grudge, but rejoices at the good of those who are loved.
(2) By inclining us to humility. It is pride that is the great root and source of envy.Conclusion: The subject —
1. Should lead us to examine ourselves, whether we are in any degree under the influence of an envious spirit.
2. Exhorts us to disallow and put away everything approaching to it.
Parallel VersesKJV: Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,