As I live, said the Lord GOD, Sodom your sister has not done, she nor her daughters, as you have done, you and your daughters.…
I. THE SINFULNESS AND DANGER OF PRIDE.
1. Pride is, as far as we know, the first sin that ever was committed. It seems to have been the leading transgression in the defection of fallen angels.
2. Pride renders persons, in a special manner, hateful and abominable in the sight of God (Proverbs 8:13; James 4:6; 1 Peter 5:5).
3. Pride is productive of other sins. Hence springs covetousness (Habakkuk 2:5), persecution (Psalm 10:2), strifes and quarrels (Proverbs 13:10).
4. Pride is a destructive sin. It is a presage of the ruin of those in whom it reigns (Proverbs 16:18). It produces shame (Proverbs 11:2). Sodom (Genesis 19:24, 25). Haughty Pharaoh and his hosts (Exodus 14. 27, 28). Haman (Esther 7:10). Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 4:32, 33). Herod (Acts 12:23).
II. SOME REMEDIES AGAINST IT.
1. Endeavour to acquire the knowledge of your own meanness and sinfulness, and of the holiness and majesty of God; for by comparing yourselves with Him you will sink into nothing in your own esteem.
2. Be persuaded of the excellency of humility, the grace opposite to pride, and "be clothed with it" (1 Peter 5:5).
3. Consider well the examples of humility set before you in the sacred Scriptures. Abraham, Jacob, David, Agur, Paul, and many others; yea, the holy angels fall down before the throne in lowest adoration; but, above all, the example of Jesus Christ (Philippians 2:5).
4. Understand that all your natural and acquired abilities are the gifts of God. Talents intrusted to your care and management (1 Corinthians 4:7).
Parallel VersesKJV: As I live, saith the Lord GOD, Sodom thy sister hath not done, she nor her daughters, as thou hast done, thou and thy daughters.