New International Version
Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke them. Then he gave them to the disciples to distribute to the people.
King James Bible
Then he took the five loaves and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed them, and brake, and gave to the disciples to set before the multitude.
Darby Bible Translation
And taking the five loaves and the two fishes, looking up to heaven he blessed them, and broke and gave to the disciples to set before the crowd.
World English Bible
He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to the sky, he blessed them, and broke them, and gave them to the disciples to set before the multitude.
Young's Literal Translation
and having taken the five loaves, and the two fishes, having looked up to the heaven, he blessed them, and brake, and was giving to the disciples to set before the multitude;
Luke 9:16 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Then he took the five loaves - A minister of the Gospel, who is employed to feed souls, should imitate this conduct of Christ:
1. He ought to exhort the people to hear with sedate and humble reverence.
2. He should first take the bread of life himself, that he may be strengthened to feed others.
3. He ought frequently to lift his soul to God, in order to draw down the Divine blessing on himself and his hearers.
4. He should break the loaves - divide rightly the word of truth, and give to all such portions as are suited to their capacities and states.
5. What he cannot perform himself, he should endeavor to effect by the ministry of others; employing every promising talent, for the edification of the whole, which he finds among the members of the Church of God. Under such a pastor, the flock of Christ will increase and multiply. See Quesnel.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibrarySelf-Denial Versus Self-Assertion.
"If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.--LUKE ix. 23. We might naturally have thought that if there was one thing in the life of the LORD JESUS CHRIST which belonged to Him alone, it was His cross-bearing. To guard against so natural a mistake, the HOLY GHOST has taken care in gospel and in epistle to draw our special attention to the oneness of the believer with CHRIST in cross-bearing; and also to prevent misunderstanding as to the character …
J. Hudson Taylor—A Ribband of Blue
September 15 Evening
Christ's Cross and Ours
'In the Holy Mount'
1 Samuel 9:13
As soon as you enter the town, you will find him before he goes up to the high place to eat. The people will not begin eating until he comes, because he must bless the sacrifice; afterward, those who are invited will eat. Go up now; you should find him about this time."
The disciples did so, and everyone sat down.
They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over.
Jump to PreviousBlessed Blessing Brake Bread Broke Broken Cakes Crowd Disciples Distribute Fish Fishes Five Heaven Kept Loaves Multitude Portions Sky Words
Jump to NextBlessed Blessing Brake Bread Broke Broken Cakes Crowd Disciples Distribute Fish Fishes Five Heaven Kept Loaves Multitude Portions Sky Words
LinksLuke 9:16 NIV
Luke 9:16 NLT
Luke 9:16 ESV
Luke 9:16 NASB
Luke 9:16 KJV
Luke 9:16 Bible Apps
Luke 9:16 Biblia Paralela
Luke 9:16 Chinese Bible
Luke 9:16 French Bible
Luke 9:16 German Bible
Luke 9:16 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.