New International Version
I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the LORD have spoken, and I have done it, declares the LORD.'"
King James Bible
And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.
Darby Bible Translation
And I will put my Spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I will place you in your own land: and ye shall know that I Jehovah have spoken, and have done [it], saith Jehovah.
World English Bible
I will put my Spirit in you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land: and you shall know that I, Yahweh, have spoken it and performed it, says Yahweh.
Young's Literal Translation
And I have given My Spirit in you, and ye have lived, And I have caused you to rest on your land, And ye have known that I Jehovah, I have spoken, and I have done it, An affirmation of Jehovah.'
Ezekiel 37:14 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
And shall put my Spirit - רוחי ruchi. Here רוח ruach is taken for the Holy Ghost. They were living souls, animal and intellectual beings, when they had received their souls, as mentioned above: but they could only become spiritual, holy, and obedient creatures by the Spirit of God actuating their spirits. See the notes on Ezekiel 36:25-27 (note).
Three degrees or processes have been remarked in this mystic vision.
When the prophet was commanded to prophesy - to foretell, on the authority of God, that there should be a restoration to their own land: -
1. There was a noise, which was followed by a general shaking, during which the bones became arranged and united.
2. The flesh and skin came upon them, so that the dry bones were no longer seen.
3. The spirit or soul came into them, and they stood up perfectly vivified.
Perhaps these might be illustrated by three periods of time, which marked the regeneration of the Jewish polity.
1. The publication of the edict of Cyrus in behalf of the Jews, which caused a general shaking or stir among the people, so that the several families began to approach each other. and prepare for their return to Judea, Ezra 1:2, Ezra 1:3. But though partially restored, they were obliged to discontinue the rebuilding of their temple.
3. The mission of Nehemiah, with orders from Artaxerxes to complete the building of the temple and the city, Nehemiah 2:7, etc. Then the Jews became a great army, and found themselves in sufficient force to defend themselves and city against all their enemies.
As to the spiritual uses of this curious vision, I must leave them to preachers. I have given the literal meaning, and what the different parts refer to; and if they found their observations on these, they may profit their hearers.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
I the Lord
LibraryThe Dry Bones and the Spirit of Life
1. The hand of the Lord was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones, 2. And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry. 3. And He said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord God, Thou knowest. 4. Again He said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. 5. Thus …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
The Shepherd of Our Souls.
How to Make Use of Christ as the Truth, that we May Get Our Case and Condition Cleared up to Us.
till the Spirit is poured on us from on high, and the desert becomes a fertile field, and the fertile field seems like a forest.
I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.
And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.
Then the nations around you that remain will know that I the LORD have rebuilt what was destroyed and have replanted what was desolate. I the LORD have spoken, and I will do it.'
I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD.'"
Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.'"
Then you, my people, will know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves and bring you up from them.
Jump to PreviousAffirmation Caused Declares Live Performed Rest Settle Spirit Within
Jump to NextAffirmation Caused Declares Live Performed Rest Settle Spirit Within
LinksEzekiel 37:14 NIV
Ezekiel 37:14 NLT
Ezekiel 37:14 ESV
Ezekiel 37:14 NASB
Ezekiel 37:14 KJV
Ezekiel 37:14 Bible Apps
Ezekiel 37:14 Biblia Paralela
Ezekiel 37:14 Chinese Bible
Ezekiel 37:14 French Bible
Ezekiel 37:14 German Bible
Ezekiel 37:14 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.