New International Version
The word of the LORD came to me:
King James Bible
The word of the LORD came again unto me, saying,
Darby Bible Translation
And the word of Jehovah came unto me, saying,
World English Bible
The word of Yahweh came again to me, saying,
Young's Literal Translation
And there is a word of Jehovah unto me, saying,
Ezekiel 37:15 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
And shall put my Spirit - רוחי ruchi. Here רוח ruach is taken for the Holy Ghost. They were living souls, animal and intellectual beings, when they had received their souls, as mentioned above: but they could only become spiritual, holy, and obedient creatures by the Spirit of God actuating their spirits. See the notes on Ezekiel 36:25-27 (note).
Three degrees or processes have been remarked in this mystic vision.
When the prophet was commanded to prophesy - to foretell, on the authority of God, that there should be a restoration to their own land: -
1. There was a noise, which was followed by a general shaking, during which the bones became arranged and united.
2. The flesh and skin came upon them, so that the dry bones were no longer seen.
3. The spirit or soul came into them, and they stood up perfectly vivified.
Perhaps these might be illustrated by three periods of time, which marked the regeneration of the Jewish polity.
1. The publication of the edict of Cyrus in behalf of the Jews, which caused a general shaking or stir among the people, so that the several families began to approach each other. and prepare for their return to Judea, Ezra 1:2, Ezra 1:3. But though partially restored, they were obliged to discontinue the rebuilding of their temple.
3. The mission of Nehemiah, with orders from Artaxerxes to complete the building of the temple and the city, Nehemiah 2:7, etc. Then the Jews became a great army, and found themselves in sufficient force to defend themselves and city against all their enemies.
As to the spiritual uses of this curious vision, I must leave them to preachers. I have given the literal meaning, and what the different parts refer to; and if they found their observations on these, they may profit their hearers.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
No references for this verse
LibraryThe Dry Bones and the Spirit of Life
1. The hand of the Lord was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones, 2. And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry. 3. And He said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord God, Thou knowest. 4. Again He said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. 5. Thus …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
The Shepherd of Our Souls.
How to Make Use of Christ as the Truth, that we May Get Our Case and Condition Cleared up to Us.
I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the LORD have spoken, and I have done it, declares the LORD.'"
"Son of man, take a stick of wood and write on it, 'Belonging to Judah and the Israelites associated with him.' Then take another stick of wood, and write on it, 'Belonging to Joseph (that is, to Ephraim) and all the Israelites associated with him.'
Jump to PreviousWord
Jump to NextWord
LinksEzekiel 37:15 NIV
Ezekiel 37:15 NLT
Ezekiel 37:15 ESV
Ezekiel 37:15 NASB
Ezekiel 37:15 KJV
Ezekiel 37:15 Bible Apps
Ezekiel 37:15 Biblia Paralela
Ezekiel 37:15 Chinese Bible
Ezekiel 37:15 French Bible
Ezekiel 37:15 German Bible
Ezekiel 37:15 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.