Speak not evil one of another, brothers. He that speaks evil of his brother, and judges his brother, speaks evil of the law…
1. Absolute supremacy becometh none but him that hath absolute power.
2. God hath an absolute and supreme power on man, and can dispose of them according to His will and pleasure; and therefore we must —
(1) Keep close to His laws with more fear and trembling. There is no escaping this Judge (1 Corinthians 10:22). Eternal life and eternal death are in His disposal (Matthew 10:28).
(2) Observe them with more encouragement; live according to Christ's laws, and He is able to protect you (Psalm 68:20). He can save His people, and He hath many ways to bring His enemies to ruin. Your Friend is the most dreadful Enemy; He "hath the keys of death and hell" (Revelation 1:18).
(3) Be the more humbled in case of breach of His laws. Wool overcometh the strokes of iron by yielding to them. There is no way left but submission and humble addresses. He may be overcome by faith, but not by power (Isaiah 27:5).
Parallel VersesKJV: Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.
WEB: Don't speak against one another, brothers. He who speaks against a brother and judges his brother, speaks against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law, but a judge.