And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every slave…
I. WHO ARE THE PERSONS WHOSE ASPECT AND APPEARANCE SHALL THEN BE SO DREADFUL TO SINNERS? It is God, the Father of all, and the Lamb of God.
II. HOW COMES THE WRATH OF THAT GREAT DAY TO BE SO TERRIBLE?
1. It is wrath that ariseth from the clearest discoveries of the love of God neglected.
2. It is wrath that is awakened by the expensive methods of salvation being slighted (Isaiah 5:4; Isaiah 55:1).
3. It is wrath that must avenge the affronts done to the chief messenger of God's mercy.
4. It is such wrath as ariseth from the patience of God, tired and worn out by the boldest iniquities of men.
5. It is such wrath as shall be executed immediately and eternally.
III. HOW VAIN ALL THE REFUGES AND HOPES OF SINNERS WILL BE FOUND IN THAT DREADFUL DAY, TO AVOID THIS WRATH AND VENGEANCE!
1. Rocks and mountains, whose aid is sought in the last extremity of distress, will be but as spiders' webs. What folly to call upon creatures to help them against their Creator! (Proverbs 9:21).
2. Rocks and mountains, though places of secrecy and concealment, cannot hide them from the eyes of God (Proverbs 15:3; Jeremiah 23:1. 24).
3. Rocks and mountains, though bulwarks of defence and places of security, cannot stand before the indignation of the Almighty (Nahum 1:2, 6).
4. Rocks and mountains falling upon us are instruments of sudden death.To conclude.
1. What a wretched mistake it is to imagine that God is all mercy, and Jesus Christ nothing else but love and salvation!
2. The day of Christ's patience makes haste to an end (Psalm 2:12).
3. How very different will the thoughts of sinners be in that day! (Isaiah 2:10, 21).
4. What hideous and everlasting mischief is contained in rejecting the gospel of Christ!
5. Sinners, consider your ways, the danger you are in, and the need you have of a Saviour (Psalm 61:2).
6. You, whose defence is the Rock of Ages, continue in Him (Revelation 2:10).
Parallel VersesKJV: And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;