The LORD preserves all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy.
I. ON WHAT ACCOUNT GOD IS TO BE LOVED, AND IS LOVED BY HIS SAINTS.
1. For Himself (Psalm 8:1).
2. As their chief, yea, only good (Psalm 73:25).
3. For the blessings of His goodness communicated to them (Psalm 6:9).
4. For the various relations in which they stand toward Him (Psalm 18:1).
5. For His great love to them (1 John 4:19).
II. HOW, AND IN WHAT WAY AND MANNER, LOVE TO GOD MANIFESTS ITSELF.
1. In a desire to be like Him (Ephesians 5:1).
2. In making His glory the supreme end of all their actions (1 Corinthians 10:31).
3. In desiring of, and delighting in, communion with God (1 John 1:3).
4. In a carefulness not to offend Him by sinning against Him (Psalm 97:10).
5. In parting with, and bearing, all, for His sake.
6. In a regard to His house, worship, and ordinances (Psalm 84:1).
7. By a value for His Word, His Gospel, and the truths of it.
8. In love and affection to the people of God.
III. THE NATURE AND PROPERTIES OF THE LOVE OF GOD.
1. It is universal; a love of all that is in God and belongs unto Him; of all His attributes and perfections, not of His goodness, grace, and mercy, and of Him for them only: but of His holiness, justice, and truth; and of all His commandments, which are to be respected (Ephesians 6:23, 24).
2. It is superlative; exceeds all other love, or love to all other persons and things.
3. It is hearty and sincere; a love without dissimulation; not in word, nor in tongue, but in deed and in truth.
4. Should be constant; such is the love of God to His people, He rests in His love towards them.
5. It may be increased; the apostle prays for an increase of it, and he thanks God for it that it did abound (1 Thessalonians 3:12; 2 Thessalonians 1:3).
IV. THE HAPPINESS OF SUCH THAT LOVE THE LORD.
1. They are loved by Him (Psalm 63:3).
2. They are known of God (1 Corinthians 8:3; 2 Timothy 2:19).
3. They are preserved by Him (Psalm 145:20; Psalm 31:23).
4. They have many instances of mercy, kindness, and respect shown them (Exodus 20:6). Hence David prays (Psalm 119:123; Proverbs 8:21).
5. All things that occur unto them in the present life are for their good (Romans 8:28).
6. Great things are laid up and reserved for them that love Him.
Parallel VersesKJV: The LORD preserveth all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy.