He that walks uprightly, and works righteousness, and speaks the truth in his heart.
It is he that worketh righteousness now shall dwell in heaven.
I. UNFOLD THE CHARACTER.
1. He is a believer in Christ, and righteous by faith. He that does not work faith works no righteousness at all (John 6:29). For a man must first be righteous before he can work it. A soul not united to Christ cannot do this (John 15:5). All life and strength spiritual is in Christ (1 John 5:11, 12). Until the conscience be purged from dead works he cannot work righteousness (Hebrews 9:14). Truth is the spring of all good works (1 Timothy 1:5; 1 John 3:12; Hebrews 11:4). Therefore, let men work as they will, until they be true believers in Christ they cannot work righteousness. Works without faith ruin the soul. See the Pharisee (Luke 18:11, 12). But the citizen of Zion is a believer. Also faith without works ruins a man, for it is but a dead faith (James 2:11, 14).
2. He worketh righteousness towards God. He seeks to give God His due (Matthew 22:21; Isaiah 64:5; Acts 10:35).
3. He worketh righteousness towards man. He will wrong no man. He will be blameless and harmless (Philippians 2:15). He seeks to do as he would be done to (Matthew 7:12). And makes conscience of giving everyone their due (Romans 13:7). Not that they are perfect. Good Asa was not (2 Chronicles 16:10, and in Genesis 20:9). But their sins are not deliberate and of set purpose. He is a sincere worker of righteousness towards man. Hence in his particular relations, in the special duties of such relation as husband, wife, parent, master, etc. In a word, he is conscientiously righteous in all things that concern his neighbour (Micah 6:3).
II. CONFIRM THIS DOCTRINE. Consider —
1. God is a righteous God.
2. It is the great end of redemption that Christ's people may be righteous (Luke 1:74, 75).
3. And judgment will be according to works. Then be workers of righteousness.
(T. Boston, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.