1 Thessalonians 1:5-10
For our gospel came not to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance…
I. THE WORD OF THY GOSPEL.
1. Not man's gospel (Galatians 1:6; 2 Corinthians 11:4).
2. But God's gospel (Acts 20:24).
3. To some a hidden gospel (2 Corinthians 4:3, 4).
4. But to others a revealed one (Matthew 11:25).
II. THE POWER OF THE GOSPEL.
1. It reveals the Saviour (1 Corinthians 1:24).
2. It quickens the dead (1 Corinthians 4:15).
3. It enlightens the mind (1 Peter 2:9).
4. It reveals wrath (Mark 16:16).
III. THE SPIRIT OF THE GOSPEL.
1. It expounds the nature of truth (1 Corinthians 2:10).
2. It gives the knowledge of freedom (Romans 8:2).
3. Helps the soul against its infirmities (Romans 8:26).
4. And gives us the seal of glory (Ephesians 1:13).
IV. THE ASSURANCE OF THE GOSPEL.
1. The assurance of pardon (Psalm 103:12, 13).
2. Assurance of righteousness (Isaiah 32:17).
3. Assurance of hope (Hebrews 6:18-20).
4. Assurance of love (Colossians 2:2).
(T. B. Baker.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.
WEB: and that our Good News came to you not in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and with much assurance. You know what kind of men we showed ourselves to be among you for your sake.