New International Version
If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping.
King James Bible
Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.
Darby Bible Translation
lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.
World English Bible
lest coming suddenly he might find you sleeping.
Young's Literal Translation
lest, having come suddenly, he may find you sleeping;
Mark 13:36 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
He find you sleeping - A porter asleep exposes the house to be robbed, and well deserves punishment. No wonder that the man is constantly suffering loss who is frequently off his guard.
Our Lord shows us in this parable:
1. That himself, ascended to heaven, is the man gone from home.
2. That believers collectively are his family.
3. That his servants are those who are employed in the work of faith and labor of love.
4. That the porter represents the ministers of his Gospel, who should continually watch for the safety and welfare of the whole flock.
5. That every one has his own work - that which belongs to himself and to none other, and for the accomplishment of which he receives sufficient strength from his Lord.
6. That these servants and porters shall give an account to their Lord, how they have exercised themselves in their respective departments.
7. And that as the master of the family will certainly come to require this account at a time when men are not aware, therefore they should be always watchful and faithful. And,
8. That this is a duty incumbent on every soul of man, What I say unto you, I say unto All, Watch! If, after all these warnings, the followers of God be found careless, their misery and condemnation must be great.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryAuthority and Work
'For the Son of Man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.'--Mark xiii. 34. Church order is not directly touched on in the Gospels, but the principles which underlie all Church order are distinctly laid down. The whole community of Christian people is a family or household, being brethren because possessors of a new life through Christ. In that household there is one 'Master,' and all …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
"But the End of all Things is at Hand, be Ye Therefore Sober and Watch unto Prayer. "
Texts Explained; Eleventhly...
Content of Revelation. God Three in one and the Incarnation.
"Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap.
And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.
Jump to PreviousArrive Asleep Beware Case Fear Find Sleeping Suddenly Unexpectedly
Jump to NextArrive Asleep Beware Case Fear Find Sleeping Suddenly Unexpectedly
LinksMark 13:36 NIV
Mark 13:36 NLT
Mark 13:36 ESV
Mark 13:36 NASB
Mark 13:36 KJV
Mark 13:36 Bible Apps
Mark 13:36 Biblia Paralela
Mark 13:36 Chinese Bible
Mark 13:36 French Bible
Mark 13:36 German Bible
Mark 13:36 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.