New International Version
Then the LORD said to Moses,
King James Bible
And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Darby Bible Translation
And Jehovah spoke to Moses, saying,
World English Bible
Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying,
Young's Literal Translation
And Jehovah speaketh unto Moses, saying,
Exodus 30:17 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Half a shekel - Each of the Israelites was ordered to give as a ransom for his soul (i.e., for his life) half a shekel, according to the shekel of the sanctuary. From this we may learn,
1. That the life of every man was considered as being forfeited to Divine justice.
2. That the redemption money given, which was doubtless used in the service of the sanctuary, was ultimately devoted to the use and profit of those who gave it.
3. That the standard by which the value of coin was ascertained, was kept in the sanctuary; for this appears to be the meaning of the words, after the shekel of the sanctuary.
4. The shekel is here said to be twenty gerahs. A gerah, according to Maimonides, weighed sixteen barleycorns, a shekel three hundred and twenty of pure silver. The shekel is generally considered to be equal in value to three shillings English; the redemption money, therefore, must be about one shilling and sixpence.
5. The rich were not to give more, the poor not to give less; to signify that all souls were equally precious in the sight of God, and that no difference of outward circumstances could affect the state of the soul; all had sinned, and all must be redeemed by the same price.
6. This atonement must be made that there might be no plague among them, intimating that a plague or curse from God must light on those souls for whom the atonement was not made.
7. This was to be a memorial unto the children of Israel, Exodus 30:16, to bring to their remembrance their past deliverance, and to keep in view their future redemption.
8. St. Peter seems to allude to this, and to intimate that this mode of atonement was ineffectual in itself, and only pointed out the great sacrifice which, in the fullness of time, should be made for the sin of the world. "Ye know," says he, "that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world," etc.; 1 Peter 1:18, 1 Peter 1:19, 1 Peter 1:20.
9. Therefore all these things seem to refer to Christ alone, and to the atonement made by his blood; and upon him who is not interested in this atonement, God's plagues must be expected to fall.
Reader, acquaint now thyself with God and be at peace, and thereby good shall come unto thee.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryThe Altar of Incense
'Thou shalt make an altar to burn incense upon.' --EXODUS xxx. 1. Ceremonies are embodied thoughts. Religious ceremonies are moulded by, and seek to express, the worshipper's conception of his God, and his own relation to Him; his aspirations and his need. Of late years scholars have been busy studying the religions of the more backward races, and explaining rude and repulsive rites by pointing to the often profound and sometimes beautiful ideas underlying them. When that process is applied to Australian …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
"Whereby we Cry, Abba, Father. "
Receive the atonement money from the Israelites and use it for the service of the tent of meeting. It will be a memorial for the Israelites before the LORD, making atonement for your lives."
"Make a bronze basin, with its bronze stand, for washing. Place it between the tent of meeting and the altar, and put water in it.
2 Chronicles 4:6
He then made ten basins for washing and placed five on the south side and five on the north. In them the things to be used for the burnt offerings were rinsed, but the Sea was to be used by the priests for washing.
Jump to PreviousMoses Speaketh
Jump to NextMoses Speaketh
LinksExodus 30:17 NIV
Exodus 30:17 NLT
Exodus 30:17 ESV
Exodus 30:17 NASB
Exodus 30:17 KJV
Exodus 30:17 Bible Apps
Exodus 30:17 Biblia Paralela
Exodus 30:17 Chinese Bible
Exodus 30:17 French Bible
Exodus 30:17 German Bible
Exodus 30:17 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.