New American Standard Bible
'Allow both to grow together until the harvest; and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, "First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up; but gather the wheat into my barn."'"
King James Bible
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
Darby Bible Translation
Suffer both to grow together unto the harvest, and in time of the harvest I will say to the harvestmen, Gather first the darnel, and bind it into bundles to burn it; but the wheat bring together into my granary.
World English Bible
Let both grow together until the harvest, and in the harvest time I will tell the reapers, "First, gather up the darnel weeds, and bind them in bundles to burn them; but gather the wheat into my barn."'"
Young's Literal Translation
suffer both to grow together till the harvest, and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather up first the darnel, and bind it in bundles, to burn it, and the wheat gather up into my storehouse.'
Matthew 13:30 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
Let both grow together - They would not spoil the true wheat, and in time of harvest it would be easy to separate them.
Our Saviour teaches us here:
1. That hypocrites and deceived persons must be expected in the church.
2. That this is the work of the enemy of man. They are not the work of Christianity any more than traitors are of patriotism, or counterfeiters are of the proper effect of legislating about money. They belong to the world, and hypocrisy is only one form of sin. The Christian religion never "made" a hypocrite, nor is there a hypocrite on the earth whose principles and practice it does not condemn.
3. That all hope of removing them entirely would be vain.
4. That an "attempt" to remove them altogether would injure real Christianity, by causing excitements, discord, and hard feelings even among Christians.
5. That Christ will himself separate them at the proper time. There is no doubt that it is the duty of the church to keep itself pure, and to cut off gross and manifest offenders, 1 Corinthians 5:4-5; but the Saviour refers here to those who may be "suspected" of hypocrisy, but against whom it cannot be proved; to those who so successfully imitate Christians as to make it difficult or impossible for man to distinguish them.
'The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and bid to three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.'--MATT. xiii. 33. How lovingly and meditatively Jesus looked upon homely life, knowing nothing of the differences, the vulgar differences, between the small and great! A poor woman, with her morsel of barm, kneading it up among three measures of meal, in some coarse earthenware pan, stands to Him as representing the whole process of His work in the world. Matthew brings …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
Four Sowings and one Ripening
Jesus visits Nazareth and is Rejected.
New Teaching in Parables' - the Parables to the People by the Lake of Galilee, and those to the Disciples in Capernaum
2 Samuel 23:7
But the man who touches them Must be armed with iron and the shaft of a spear, And they will be completely burned with fire in their place."
It will be even like the reaper gathering the standing grain, As his arm harvests the ears, Or it will be like one gleaning ears of grain In the valley of Rephaim.
"His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
"But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away.
"But he said, 'No; for while you are gathering up the tares, you may uproot the wheat with them.
Jump to PreviousBarn Bind Bundles Burn Burned Collect Darnel Direct First Gather Grow Harvest Harvesters Reapers Tares Tie Time Together Weeds Wheat
Jump to NextBarn Bind Bundles Burn Burned Collect Darnel Direct First Gather Grow Harvest Harvesters Reapers Tares Tie Time Together Weeds Wheat
LinksMatthew 13:30 NIV
Matthew 13:30 NLT
Matthew 13:30 ESV
Matthew 13:30 NASB
Matthew 13:30 KJV
Matthew 13:30 Bible Apps
Matthew 13:30 Biblia Paralela
Matthew 13:30 Chinese Bible
Matthew 13:30 French Bible
Matthew 13:30 German Bible
Matthew 13:30 Commentaries