To give to us, without fear, Out of the hand of our enemies having been delivered,
Luke 1:74 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Being delivered, etc. - The salvation brought by Jesus Christ, consists in the following things: -
1. We are to be delivered out of the hand of our enemies, and from all that hate us; so that sin shall neither have dominion over us, nor existence in us.
2. We are to worship God, λατρευειν, to render him that service and adoration which the letter and spirit of his religion require.
3. Ye are to live in holiness, a strict inward conformity to the mind of Christ - and righteousness, a full outward conformity to the precepts of the Gospel.
4. This is to be done before God, under the continual influence and support of his grace, and with a constant evidence of his presence and approbation.
5. This state is a state of true happiness - it is without fear. Sin is all cast out, holiness is brought in; God's power upholds, and his approbation cheers and comforts, the believing heart. Thus misery is precluded, and happiness established.
6. This blessedness is to continue as long as we exist - all the days of our life, in all ages, in all situations, and in all circumstances. What a pity to have lived so long without God in the world, when so much happiness and glory are to be enjoyed in union with him!
Της ζωης, in the last clause, is omitted by many MSS., versions, and fathers. Griesbach has left it out of the text: however, it is but of small importance whether we read all our days, or, all the days of our life.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
Luke 1:71 That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us;
Isaiah 35:9,10 No lion shall be there, nor any ravenous beast shall go up thereon, it shall not be found there; but the redeemed shall walk there...
Isaiah 45:17 But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: you shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.
Isaiah 54:13,14 And all your children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of your children...
Isaiah 65:21-25 And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them...
Ezekiel 34:25-28 And I will make with them a covenant of peace, and will cause the evil beasts to cease out of the land...
Ezekiel 39:28,29 Then shall they know that I am the LORD their God, which caused them to be led into captivity among the heathen...
Zephaniah 3:15-17 The LORD has taken away your judgments, he has cast out your enemy: the king of Israel, even the LORD, is in the middle of you...
Zechariah 9:8-10 And I will encamp about my house because of the army, because of him that passes by, and because of him that returns...
Romans 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end everlasting life.
Romans 8:15 For you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but you have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba...
2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Hebrews 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God...
Revelation 2:10 Fear none of those things which you shall suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that you may be tried...
Luke 1:74 Parallel CommentariesDelivered Enemies Fear Foes Free Grant Hand Power Render Rescue Rescued Saved Serve WorshipDelivered Enemies Fear Foes Free Grant Hand Power Render Rescue Rescued Saved Serve WorshipTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
Luke 1:74 Mobile Bible
Luke 1:74 Bible Suite
Luke 1:74 Biblia Paralela
Luke 1:74 Chinese Bible