"V" in Homilist
And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make to all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees…
I. THE PLACE SPECIFIED. "In this mountain." Mountains are often spoken of in the Scriptures, and wonderful things were done on some of them. The ark rested on a mountain; Abraham offered up his son Isaac on a mountain, etc. The Church may be compared to a mountain —
1. Because of its conspicuousness.
2. Because of its exposure to storms.
3. Because of its stability.
4. Because it is beautiful and beneficial. Mountains break the monotony of the landscape, are good for shelter, and rich with valuable substances. The Church is a thing of moral beauty, and should be rich in faith, love, and zeal.
II. THE BUSINESS TO BE DONE IN THIS MOUNTAIN. Face coverings and veils have to be destroyed. People have to be prepared for a feast: and with veiled faces and muffled mouths they can neither see nor eat. The coverings which sin has thrown over all people are —
1. Ignorance. Sin made Adam so ignorant that he tried to hide himself from the presence of an omnipresent and omniscient God by creeping among the trees in the Garden of Eden. And his children are also as ignorant of God.
2. Shame and slavish fear. This drives men from God as it did their first father.
3. Unbelief; causing men to reject Christ, and to stagger at God's promises. From thousands of minds such coverings, thick and strong though they be, have been torn and destroyed.
III. THE FEAST THAT IS TO FOLLOW. The Church is not a place of amusement merely, or a lecture room, but the soul's feasting place, where all the dainties of Heaven can be had. At a feast there is generally found —
2. Plenty. God's stores can never be exhausted.
3. Good company is expected. At this feast you have God's nobility on earth, princes and princesses, kings and priests, and you are favoured with the presence of the King of kings Himself. Nowhere out of Heaven can the company be more select.
4. Here all is gratis.
("V" in Homilist.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined.