And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make to all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees…
These words are prophetical, and cannot have a perfect performance all at once, but they shall be performed gradually. I will show why Christ, with His benefits, prerogatives, graces, and comforts, is compared to a feast.
I. In regard of THE CHOICE OF THE THINGS. In a feast all things are of the best; so are the things we have in Christ. They are the best of everything. Pardon for sin is a pardon of pardon. The title we have for Heaven, through Him, is a sure title. The joy we have by Him is the joy of all joys. The liberty and freedom from sin, which He purchased for us by His death, is perfect freedom. The riches of grace we have by Him are the only lasting and durable riches.
II. There is VARIETY. In Christ there is variety answerable to all our wants. Are we foolish? He is wisdom. Have we guilt in our consciences 7 He is righteousness, and this righteousness is imputed unto us, etc.
III. There is FULL SUFFICIENCY. There is abundance of grace, and excellency and sufficiency in Christ.
IV. A feast is for COMPANY. This is a marriage feast, at which we are contracted to Christ. Of all feasts, marriage feasts are most sumptuous.
V. For a feast ye have THE CHOICEST GARMENTS, as at the marriage of the Lamb, "white and flue linen" (Revelation 19:8).
VI. This was SIGNIFIED IN OLD TIME BY THE JEWS.
1. In the Feast of the Passover.
2. Manna was a type of Christ.
3. The hard rock in the wilderness, when it was struck with the rod of Moses, presently water gushed out in abundance, which preserved life to the Israelites; so Christ, the rock of our salvation, when His precious side was gored with the bloody lance upon the Cross, the blood gushed out, and in such a manner and such abundance, that by the shedding thereof our souls are preserved alive.
4. All the former feasts in times past were but types of this.
5. In the sacrament you have a feast, a feast of varieties, not only bread, but wine — to shew the variety and fulness of comfort in Christ.
VII. Because there can be no feast where the greatest enemy is in force, HE SWALLOWS UP DEATH IN VICTORY.
( Sibbes, Richard, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined.