And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very fraudulent generation…
I. LACK OF WISDOM. "Wisdom" is sometimes used for religion, and the connection between them is very close. Sin is —
(1) Ignorance of self.
(2) Ignorance of God.
(3) Ignorance of future consequences.And ignorance is folly — inasmuch as it is the cause of folly, the spirit of folly, and the seed of folly.
II. A NEGLECTED DUTY. The "latter end" is the great crisis of existence. Why do men neglect its consideration?
(1) Because the prospect is not pleasant.
(2) Because of the natural buoyancy of human life.
(3) To look at our latter end will give us a true estimate of our own worth.
(4) To look at our latter end will cause us to use the time that remains for the highest ends.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very froward generation, children in whom is no faith.