And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very fraudulent generation…
I. SOME CIRCUMSTANCES OF OUR LATTER END WHICH IT BECOMES US TO CONSIDER.
1. Death will part asunder the body and the soul.
2. Death will dissolve all our earthly ties.
3. Death will strip us of all our titles, and of that office, power, and influence which they imply.
4. Death will level all distinctions.
5. Death will strip us of our earthly possessions.
6. Death must bring all our schemes to a close.
7. Death will finish our period of usefulness.
8. Death will finish our character, and close our accounts for the judgment.
II. THE WISDOM OF PROPERLY CONSIDERING THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF OUR LATTER END.
1. God has pronounced it wise to consider our latter end, and act with constant and careful reference to the life to come.
2. The wisdom of such a course is inferred from the fact that in all other things we consider it indispensable.
3. To make death a matter of previous calculation is necessary to the promotion of our temporal interest and that of our heirs.
4. To well consider our latter end will tend to forward our preparation for the scenes of death.
(D. A. Clark.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very froward generation, children in whom is no faith.