And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very fraudulent generation…
I. THE DUTY HERE MENTIONED. To consider our latter end is —
1. To familiarise our minds to the thought of death, and of that eternal state on which death is the entrance.
2. To consider how we may provide for our welfare in our latter end.
3. To devote ourselves mainly to the great work of providing for our welfare in our latter end.
II. THE WISDOM OF ATTENDING TO IT.
1. Because such attention is pleasing to the Most High.
2. Because the neglect of it will infallibly expose us to the tremendous effects of God's righteous indignation.
3. Because it serves to facilitate our victory over the delusions of the world.
4. Because it tends to administer support under every affliction which assails us.
5. Because it will be the means of giving us a good hope in death.
(J. Natt, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very froward generation, children in whom is no faith.