2 Peter 3:18
But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
I. WHAT IT IS TO GROW IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF CHRIST.
1. The knowledge of Christ is of the greatest excellency. Other kind of knowledge is like light from the stars; this like beams from the sun. To know Christ assimilates and makes us like Him.
2. The knowledge of Christ is of absolute necessity.
3. The knowledge of Christ is by supernatural revelation.
4. The knowledge of Christ was communicated in a degree under the Old Testament.
5. The revelation of Christ under the New Testament is more clear. Therefore to be ignorant of Him is the more without apology.
6. All true believers in Christ have some knowledge of Him (Romans 10:14).
7. Those who know most of Christ know Him but in part. Therefore are they to be urged to grow in knowledge.
(1) Growing in the knowledge of Christ implies a fuller apprehension of His Godhead.
(2) A clearer sight of His humanity.
(3) A more plain discerning and full persuasion that He was foreordained to be a Redeemer.
(4) A greater insight into His sufferings.
(5) A more fruitful eyeing of His resurrection and going to His Father.
(6) Greater satisfaction about His imputed righteousness.
(7) A more constant and fiducial eyeing of His intercession, and the pity and compassions of Him that intercedes.
(8) Being better acquainted with His great power, and continual presence with His Church which is so nearly related to Him.
(9) A better understanding of Him as "Mediator of the New Covenant."(10) A more earnest looking for His appearing.
II. WHAT PROPERTIES ARE REQUIRED IN THIS KNOWLEDGE.
1. This knowledge of Christ should grow more and more certain.
2. It should more and more humble the Christian.
3. It should grow more spiritual.
4. It should encourage to a more settled reliance upon Him.
5. It should raise Him higher and higher in Christians' estimation.
6. It should have a great aspect upon whatever else is revealed in the Word of God.
7. It should be operative still in a greater measure.
8. It should cause great glorying and joy.
III. HOW TO INCREASE AND GROW IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF JESUS CHRIST.
1. Be sensible of your remaining ignorance.
2. Compare all other knowledge with this, and see the vast difference in point of excellency.
3. You must not lean to your own parts and understandings.
4. Heedfully attend to the word of the truth of the gospel.
5. Look unto Jesus Himself (Colossians 2:3).
6. Cry for more knowledge, and eye the promise of the Spirit of wisdom and revelation.
7. Take heed of seducing spirits.
8. Abstain from worldly and fleshly lusts.
9. Associate yourselves with those who have a great measure of the knowledge of Christ.
10. Let your end in desiring a greater degree of the knowledge of Christ be right. Not that you may be puffed up in your own minds, or admired of men; but that Christ may be more admired and esteemed by you.IMPROVEMENT.
1. TO unbelievers.
(1) Christ is willing to receive the very worst of you, upon you returning and believing.
(2) Christ is willing to give Himself to you.
2. To saints.
(1) Improve the knowledge of Christ with reference to God Himself.
(2) To the law of God.
(3) To sin.
(4) To angels both good and bad.
(5) To this present world.
(6) To duties, grace, and perseverance.
(7) To comfort.
(W. Vincent, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.