Who is this King of Glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.
I. THE LANGUAGE WOULD REPRESENT THE MIND OF MAN AS GOD'S TEMPLE. What views of our nature are suggested by such a representation?
1. The religious destination of man. A temple is built for religious uses and objects. So this is the grand destiny for which man is created - religion. Physical, intellectual, moral destiny.
2. Represents the mind as a sanctuary/or the Divine habitation. The glory of God dwelt between the cherubim; but man is God's grandest Shechinah. This is fully recognized and asserted in the New Testament, "He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you;" "Ye are God's temple."
II. GOD AS A GLORIOUS KING IS EVER SEEKING ADMISSION INTO OUR MINDS.
1. The King of glory assumes the attitude of a majestic suppliant. "Let the King come in." "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock." Illustrates the voluntary nature of our relations with God. Wonderful! Infinity pleading with the finite; majesty supplicating meanness; holiness stooping before the unholy!
2. The purpose for which he seeks to occupy our minds. To draw us into friendship and harmony with himself, and to establish a glorious rule over us. We are incapable of self-rule, and cannot exist alone. And this is our proper and normal relation to him.
III. THE EXERCISE OF MIND BY WHICH GOD IS ADMITTED INTO OUR NATURE. A lifting up of its powers - an elevation and expansion of them - in the following ways.
1. It is the reaching forth of our powers towards the Infinite Being. An effort to embrace our infinite and eternal concerns - a going forth out of the transient and visible into the everlasting and spiritual.
2. The active reception of God enlarges our best powers and affections. It enlarges and exalts love, will, and conscience. - S.
Who is this King of glory.
(L. A. Banks, D. D.)
LinksPsalm 24:8 NIV
Psalm 24:8 NLT
Psalm 24:8 ESV
Psalm 24:8 NASB
Psalm 24:8 KJV
Psalm 24:8 Bible Apps
Psalm 24:8 Parallel
Psalm 24:8 Biblia Paralela
Psalm 24:8 Chinese Bible
Psalm 24:8 French Bible
Psalm 24:8 German Bible
Psalm 24:8 Commentaries