Take my yoke on you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest to your souls.
I. THE FIRST QUALITY WHICH JESUS CLAIMS.
1. Meek as opposed to ferocity of spirit manifested by the zealots and bigots.
2. There is a sternness which cannot be condemned.
3. It is meek in heart.
II. LOWLINESS OF HEART.
1. He is willing to receive the poorest sinner.
2. This lowliness leads Him to receive the most ignorant.
(C. H. Spurgeon.)
I. It is something for the Christian to ENJOY — "Rest."
1. Rest from legal servitude.
2. From wrathful apprehensions.
3. From carnal pursuits.
4. From earthly anxiety.
5. From terrific forebodings.
II. Something to BEAR — "Yoke."
1. Subjection to the mind of Christ (Philippians 2:5).
2. Resignation to the will of Christ.Why called a yoke?
1. Because it opposes our corrupt nature.
2. Because it opposes the maxims of the world.
3. Because it is repugnant to the schemes of men.
III. Something which the Christian is to be TAUGHT — "Learn of Me."
2. Humility.Christ teaches:
1. By His Spirit.
2. By His Word.
3. By His example.
Parallel VersesKJV: Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.