Why I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love to all the saints,…
I. IT IS THE FIRST CONDITION OF SPIRITUAL LIFE.
1. Uniting the sinner with the Lord of life.
2. Restoring the spiritual outcast to filial relations with God the Father.
3. Interesting and exercising the renewed nature in things unseen and eternal.
II. IT EXHIBITS ITSELF IN THE SPIRIT AND CONDUCT OF BELIEVERS.
1. The life of the believer is in the greatest contrast to the life of unbelief.
(1) His own previous conduct.
(2) The general behaviour of the world.
2. It impels to the promotion of the well-being of others.
III. IT OUGHT THEREFORE TO BE ANXIOUSLY LOOKED FOR AND THANKFULLY RECOGNIZED BY OTHER CHRISTIANS. But all Christians are not so deeply interested in the progress of Christ's kingdom as Paul was! It requires an unworldly and generous spirit to be possessed by such an enthusiasm.
1. Awaking thanksgiving in him. As if it had been a personal advantage to himself. God is thanked as the Author of the spiritual life thus evinced.
2. Impelling to prayer. Because the fruits and spiritual outgrowth of faith were still to come. He who awakened faith in Himself alone can sustain and perfect it.
(A. F. Muir, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,