1 Chronicles 28:9-21
And you, Solomon my son, know you the God of your father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind…
I. THE RULE OF WORSHIP LAID DOWN IN THE TEXT, which we should carefully observe in all our religious transactions with God. We must worship God —
1. With a perfect heart. That is —
(1) An upright heart: "in spirit and in truth" (John 4:24).
(2) A pure heart. This stands in opposition to all vile affections and corrupt ends in worship (1 Kings 15:14; Psalm 26:6).
(3) A devout and engaged heart. This stands opposed to —
(a) Worldly and wandering thoughts;
(b) a dull and drowsy frame in worship.
2. With a willing mind.
(1) We should always preserve an habitual readiness and disposition to the service of God, and oppose and break through every accidental reluctance of the mind thereunto.
(2) Our minds should be excited to the service of God from a principle of gratitude and love.
(3) With cheerfulness of heart in worship.
II. WHAT IS ESSENTIAL AND PECULIAR TO CHRISTIAN WORSHIP? It must always be performed in the name of Christ (Colossians 3:17; John 14:13, 14; John 16:23, 24, 26). To serve God in the name of Christ implies —
1. A dependence on His mediation for the acceptance of our services.
2. A dependence on His grace for our assistance (Philippians 4:18).
3. A dependence on His merits for the atonement of our guilt (Romans 3:24, 25).
4. A thankful acknowledgment of this gracious constitution of His, in appointing His Son to be Mediator between Him and His apostate creatures.
1. How vain it is to lay a great stress upon any particular place, or external forms and modes of worship.
2. This should lead us to inquire in what manner our worship, hath been performed, and what hath been the ordinary frame of our mind therein.
3. This shows the need we have to prepare our hearts to serve Him, and to avoid everything that would unfit us for this service.
4. Hence likewise appears the necessity of keeping the heart with all diligence in the service of God.
(J. Mason, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.
WEB: You, Solomon my son, know the God of your father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind; for Yahweh searches all hearts, and understands all the imaginations of the thoughts. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever.