And he entered into a ship, and passed over, and came into his own city.…
Why does our Saviour begin with the pardon of sin?
1. To display His sovereignty.
2. To show that the soul is the principal care.
3. Perhaps the man suffered more from spiritual distress than from bodily pain.
4. It would seem to emit a ray of His glory, and prove a test to try the dispositions of the company.Here are several things worthy of notice: —
1. This cure was effected by a word.
2. He was ordered to return home. Christ did not seek His own glory.
3. Fix your eye on Jesus, the most prominent figure in the story.
4. How far the case of the paralytic resembles yours.
(1) Are you distressed in mind and body too?
(2) Has Christ healed thy body and not thy soul?
(3) Has he spoken peace to thy conscience, and is thy body still under the influence of disease?
Parallel VersesKJV: And he entered into a ship, and passed over, and came into his own city.