And God spoke to Noah, saying,…
I. THAT HE GOES FORTH UPON THE DIVINE COMMAND (vers. 15-17).
1. That Noah was counselled to go forth from the ark on a day ever to be remembered.
2. That Noah was commanded to go forth from the ark when the earth was dry.
II. THAT HE GOES FORTH IN REFLECTIVE SPIRIT. We can readily imagine that Noah would go forth from the ark in very reflective and somewhat pensive mood.
1. He would think of the multitudes who had been drowned in the great waters.
2. He would think of his own immediate conduct of life, and of the future before him.
III. THAT HE GOES FORTH IN COMPANY WITH THOSE WHO HAVE SHARED HIS SAFETY.
1. He goes forth in company with the relatives of his own family. God permitted the family of Noah to be with him in the ark, to relieve his solitude, to aid his efforts, to show the protective influence of true piety; and now they are to join him in the possession of the regenerated earth, that they may enjoy its safety and aid its cultivation.
2. He goes forth in company with the life-giving agencies of the universe.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And God spake unto Noah, saying,