And it came to pass in the six hundredth and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month…
Noah (Rest) comes forth from the ark in the sabbath century of his life, the six hundred and first year. He lived after the Flood 350 years, the half week of centuries; his life represented a rest, but not the rest, a half sabbath, promise of the rest which remains to the people of God.
I. AN EXAMPLE OF FAITH.
1. Not until God spake did Noah dare to do more than lift off the covering and look.
2. At the heavenly word the family, redeemed by grace, takes possession of the redeemed habitation.
II. THE REDEEMED LIFE IN ITS NEW APPOINTMENT. GO forth of the ark into the new world. There is the keynote of the Bible. Man redeemed is man living by every word of God.
1. By Divine commandment going into the prepared refuge.
2. By Divine commandment taking down old bounds and occupying new places.
3. Going forth into a promised land rejoicing in a pledged future.
4. Carrying with him all lower creatures into a new, progressive, God-blessed inheritance. The whole creation groaning and travailing, the whole creation participating in the Divine deliverance. - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass in the six hundredth and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, the waters were dried up from off the earth: and Noah removed the covering of the ark, and looked, and, behold, the face of the ground was dry.
WEB: It happened in the six hundred first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, the waters were dried up from the earth. Noah removed the covering of the ship, and looked. He saw that the surface of the ground was dried.