Lift up your eyes, and behold them that come from the north: where is the flock that was given you, your beautiful flock?
I. WHAT IS HERE SHOWN US RESPECTING THE FLOCK.
1. It is not yours in proprietorship, only in charge. Children are peculiarly and specially God's. Authority over them is God's gift to parents but He has a claim prior to yours. He continues His work of creation in every child born. Its existence is wonderful. Much more so its capacities — physical, mental, social, spiritual.
2. Christ highly estimates the flock. Christian hospitality to a child is homage to God.
II. THE RESPONSIBILITY OF PARENTS TO WHOM GOD HAS ENTRUSTED HIS FLOCK.
1. They have to impart religious ideas. At home the first principles are instilled: indeed, the child's mind is there made acquainted with the germ of all truth — sin, forgiveness, righteousness, salvation, love human and Divine: all the ideas involved in religion.
2. Parents represent to their children the character of the Invisible God. The Gospel is a declaration of the paternal love.
3. The inquiry for the flock will be addressed to parents.
III. THE WAY IN WHICH THIS RESPONSIBILITY SHOULD BE MET. If you would prepare to answer joyfully this question, set it before you as —
1. A distinct purpose. The wish for your children's salvation is not enough. Register a purpose in the sight of God.
2. Intense devotion is necessary. To have converting power over your own children you must love their souls, and hold them fast for God.
Parallel VersesKJV: Lift up your eyes, and behold them that come from the north: where is the flock that was given thee, thy beautiful flock?
WEB: Lift up your eyes, and see those who come from the north: where is the flock that was given you, your beautiful flock?