1 Samuel 2:35
And I will raise me up a faithful priest, that shall do according to that which is in my heart and in my mind…
In the strictest sense Christ alone is now a Priest. In himself assuming the office, he has forever abolished it in others. Hence none are called priests in the New Testament, except in the modified sense in which all who believe in him are so called (1 Peter 2:9; Revelation 1:6). But taking the expression as equivalent to "a faithful ministry," consisting of men appointed by Christ to a special service for him (Malachi 2:6, 7; Acts 6:4; Ephesians 4:11; Colossians 1:7; 2 Timothy 2:2), and faithfully fulfilling the purpose of their appointment, it leads us to notice -
I. WHENCE IT IS DERIVED. "I will raise up."
1. He alone can do it. From him come natural gifts and, still more, spiritual graces, eminent faith and patience, humility, courage, meekness, tender compassion "on the ignorant and on them that are out of the way," etc.
2. He has promised and made provision for it (Jeremiah 3:15). "I will build him a sure (enduring) house." "The death of Christ hath a great influence unto this gift of the ministry. It is a branch that grew out of the grave of Christ; let it be esteemed as lightly as men please, had not Christ died for it we had not had a ministry in the world" (Owen, vol. 9. p. 441). He "will be inquired of" for it. If Churches would have "good ministers of Jesus Christ," they must seek them from God (Matthew 9:38).
II. WHEREIN IT APPEARS. "Shall do according to that which is in my heart and in my mind."
1. Supreme regard to his will as the rule of character and labour.
2. Clear insight into his mind in relation to the special requirements of the time, place, and circumstances.
3. Practical, earnest, and constant devotion to it in all things, the least as well as the greatest. Even as "Christ himself." "I have given you an example."
III. WHEREBY IT IS HONOURED. "And he shall walk before mine anointed forever."
1. Enjoyment of the King's favour (Proverbs 16:15).
2. Employment in the King's service; in continued, honourable, beneficent, and increasing cooperation with him.
3. Participation in the King's glory forever. "Be thou faithful," etc. (Revelation 2:10). "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne" (Revelation 3:21). - D.
Parallel VersesKJV: And I will raise me up a faithful priest, that shall do according to that which is in mine heart and in my mind: and I will build him a sure house; and he shall walk before mine anointed for ever.