Be you therefore followers of God, as dear children;…
This is the high destiny of God's children.
I. THE DUTY HERE COMMANDED. "Be ye imitators of me." It is to do
(1) what God does;
(2) because he does it;
(3) as he does it.
The special point of imitation here is the duty of showing a forgiving spirit to one another.
II. WHY WE SHOULD IMITATE GOD.
1. Because we are his "dear children." Whom should children imitate but their father? Believers have had experience of their Father's wisdom, love, and power, and it is only an instinct of filial love to imitate such a Father.
2. Because we were originally made in his image (Genesis 1:26), and though that image has been marred by sin, it is to be renewed in the process of a Christian experience (Ephesians 4:23).
3. Holiness consists in the imitation of God. "Because it is written, Be ye holy, for I am holy" (1 Peter 1:16).
4. The prospect of perfect likeness to God in the day of our Lord's appearing. (1 John 3:2.)
III. MEANS TOWARDS THE FULFILMENT OF THIS DUTY.
1. Pray without ceasing, especially for fuller measures of his grace, for larger disclosures of his love, for a deeper insight into his truth.
2. Live continually as being under his eye. (Psalm 139:6, 7.)
3. Consider how others have followed him. (1 Corinthians 11:1.) - T.C.
Parallel VersesKJV: Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;