Who are Israelites; to whom pertains the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God…
I. OVER WHAT. Over —
1. The sublimest created intelligences (Hebrews 1.).
2. The greatest human potentates (Revelation 19:16; Psalm 110:1. cf. Matthew 22:43; 11:42).
3. The most glorious of material edifices (Matthew 12:46).
4. The universe of matter as its Creator (John 1:3).
5. The universe of mind as its Ruler and Judge (Matthew 28:18; John 5:22, 25).
6. His Church as its Redeemer, Legislator, Sovereign (Colossians 1:18, 19).
7. In a word — all things (Colossians 1:16, 17; 1 Corinthians 15:27).
II. WHY? Can there be any other answer but that in the text? — because He is God.
(J. W. Burn.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;