Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
I. WHERE THEY CORRESPOND.
1. Both adopt the Christian name.
2. Both utter the same shibboleth.
3. Both are active in preaching Christ.
II. WHERE THEY DIFFER.
1. In heart. "Contention" moves the one; "love" reigns in the other.
2. In spirit. "Envy and strife" move the one; "goodwill" actuates the other.
3. In source of strength. Love of party animates the one; confidence in the Lord emboldens the other.
4. In aim. That of the one is to advance, it may be, a lifeless Church; that of the other to propel the gospel of Christ.
5. The depth and accuracy of conviction. The one "supposing to rid," etc. (ver. 16); the other "knowing that," etc. (ver. 17).
(G. G. Ballard.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: