But now in Christ Jesus you who sometimes were far off are made near by the blood of Christ.
I. WHAT IS MEANT BY BEING "AFAR OFF."
1. It intimates distance (Ephesians 4:14).
2. Being destitute of His image (Ephesians 4:22).
3. Under God's revealed displeasure (Ephesians 1:1-3).
4. Unconnected with Christ.
II. WHAT IS MEANT BY BEING "MADE NIGH." The renegade is reclaimed; the outlaw is captured; the rebel has Rounded his arms; the ferocious lion is now changed into a placid lamb; and the stoner is now reconciled to, and made one with, God in Jesus Christ our Lord. Hence, being "made nigh" signifies —
1. Relationship (2 Corinthians 3:17, 18).
2. Union — the vine and its branches (John 15:5).
3. Unity or oneness (1 Corinthians 12:13).
4. Stones builded on Christ (Ephesians 2:22).
5. Friendship (John 15:15).
6. Communion (Romans 8:14).
III. THE INSTRUMENT OF BRINGING US NIGH: "HIS BLOOD." That which effects such wonderful achievements must itself be astonishingly magnificent. The effect is Godlike, and the cause is with God. To accomplish an union between two opposite and repulsive bodies is beyond the reach of philosophical ingenuity, with all its power. But this is done by —
1. God's decree in Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:5).
2. In whom Jew and Gentile meet (Ephesians 2:14).
3. By Christ's blood we are reconciled (Hebrews 9:28).
4. Thus we enter into the holiest (Hebrews 10:19).
5. Redeemed by His blood (Colossians 1:14).
6. Justified by His blood (Romans 5:9).
7. Washed by His blood (1 John 1:7).
8. We conquer through His blood (Revelation 12:11).
(T. B. Baker.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.