New International Version
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
King James Bible
The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Darby Bible Translation
Jehovah is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my rock, in whom I will trust; my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower.
World English Bible
Yahweh is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower.
Young's Literal Translation
Jehovah is my rock, and my bulwark, And my deliverer, My God is my rock, I trust in Him: My shield, and a horn of my salvation, My high tower.
Psalm 18:2 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
The Lord is my rock -
2. I stand on him as my foundation, and derive every good from him who is the source of good. The word סלע sela signifies those craggy precipices which afford shelter to men and wild animals; where the bees often made their nests, and whence honey was collected in great abundance. "He made him to suck honey out of the rock," Deuteronomy 32:13.
3. He was his fortress; a place of strength and safety, fortified by nature and art, where he could be safe from his enemies. He refers to those inaccessible heights in the rocky, mountainous country of Judea, where he had often found refuge from the pursuit of Saul. What these have been to my body, such has the Lord been to my soul.
4. מפלתי mephalleti, he who causes me to escape. This refers to his preservation in straits and difficulties. He was often almost surrounded and taken, but still the Lord made a way for his escape - made a way out as his enemies got in; so that, while they got in at one side of his strong hold, he got out of the other, and so escaped with his life. These escapes were so narrow and so unlikely that he plainly saw the hand of the Lord was in them.
5. My God, אלי ,doG Eli, my strong God, not only the object of my adoration, but he who puts strength in my soul.
6. My strength, צורי tsuri. This is a different word from that in the first verse.
Rabbi Maimon has observed that צור tsur, when applied to God, signifies fountain, source, origin, etc. God is not only the source whence my being was derived, but he is the fountain whence I derive all my good; in whom, says David, I will trust. And why? Because he knew him to be an eternal and inexhaustible fountain of goodness. This fine idea is lost in our translation; for we render two Hebrew words of widely different meaning, by the same term in English, strength.
7. My buckler, מגני maginni, my shield, my defender, he who covers my head and my heart, so that I am neither slain nor wounded by the darts of my adversaries.
8. Horn of my salvation. Horn was the emblem of power, and power in exercise. This has been already explained; see on 1 Samuel 2:1 (note). The horn of salvation means a powerful, an efficient salvation.
9. My high tourer; not only a place of defense, but one from which I can discern the country round about, and always be able to discover danger before it approaches me.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
strength [Heb.] rock
LibraryAugust 2. "Thy Gentleness Hath Made Me Great" (Ps. xviii. 35).
"Thy gentleness hath made me great" (Ps. xviii. 35). The blessed Comforter is gentle, tender, and full of patience and love. How gentle are God's dealings even with sinners! How patient His forbearance! How tender His discipline, with His own erring children! How He led Jacob, Joseph, Israel, David, Elijah, and all His ancient servants, until they could truly say, "Thy gentleness hath made me great." The heart in which the Holy Spirit dwells will always be characterized by gentleness, lowliness, …
Rev. A. B. Simpson—Days of Heaven Upon Earth
Division of Actual Grace
The Ark among the Flags
This State of Prayer not one of Idleness, but of Noble Action, Wrought by the Spirit of God, and in Dependence Upon Him --The Communication Of
He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David
"The LORD is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.
Then the LORD said, "There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock.
You deserted the Rock, who fathered you; you forgot the God who gave you birth.
For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God?
The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Jump to PreviousBreastplate Buckler Bulwark Deliverer Faith Fortress High Horn Refuge Rock Salvation Saviour Shield Strength Stronghold Tower Trust Walled
Jump to NextBreastplate Buckler Bulwark Deliverer Faith Fortress High Horn Refuge Rock Salvation Saviour Shield Strength Stronghold Tower Trust Walled
LinksPsalm 18:2 NIV
Psalm 18:2 NLT
Psalm 18:2 ESV
Psalm 18:2 NASB
Psalm 18:2 KJV
Psalm 18:2 Bible Apps
Psalm 18:2 Biblia Paralela
Psalm 18:2 Chinese Bible
Psalm 18:2 French Bible
Psalm 18:2 German Bible
Psalm 18:2 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.