New International Version
and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all.
King James Bible
And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.
Darby Bible Translation
And lo, [there was] a woman having a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and she was bent together and wholly unable to lift her head up.
World English Bible
Behold, there was a woman who had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and she was bent over, and could in no way straighten herself up.
Young's Literal Translation
and lo, there was a woman having a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and she was bowed together, and not able to bend back at all,
Luke 13:11 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
A woman which had a spirit of infirmity - Relative to this subject three things may be considered: -
I. The woman's infirmity.
II. Her cure. And
III. The conduct of the ruler of the synagogue on the occasion.
I. The woman's infirmity.
1. What was its origin? Sin. Had this never entered into the world, there had not been either pain, distortion, or death.
2. Who was the agent in it? Satan; Luke 13:16. God has often permitted demons to act on and in the bodies of men and women; and it is not improbable that the principal part of unaccountable and inexplicable disorders still come from the same source.
3. What was the nature of this infirmity? She was bowed together, bent down to the earth, a situation equally painful and humiliating; the violence of which she could not support, and the shame of which she could not conceal.
4. What was the duration of this infirmity? Eighteen years. A long time to be under the constant and peculiar influence of the devil.
What was the effect of this infirmity? The woman was so bowed together that she could in no case stand straight, or look toward heaven.
II. The woman's cure.
1. Jesus saw her, Luke 13:12. Notwithstanding her infirmity was great, painful, and shameful, she took care to attend the synagogue. While she hoped for help from God, she saw it was her duty to wait in the appointed way, in order to receive it. Jesus saw her distress, and the desire she had both to worship her Maker and to get her health restored, and his eye affected his heart.
2. He called her to him. Her heart and her distress spoke loudly, though her lips were silent; and, as she was thus calling for help, Jesus calls her to himself that she may receive help.
3. Jesus laid his hands on her. The hand of his holiness terrifies, and the hand of his power expels, the demon. Ordinances, however excellent, will be of no avail to a sinner, unless he apprehend Christ in them.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryA Changed Life
TEXT: "And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift herself up. And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity: And he laid his hands on her; and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God."--Luke 13:11-13. These verses present to us one of the most interesting stories imaginable--of interest to us first because it is one of our Lord's miracles, …
J. Wilbur Chapman—And Judas Iscariot
Christ's Message to Herod
The Strait Gate. Warned against Herod.
At the Feast of the Dedication of the Temple.
Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.
When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, "Woman, you are set free from your infirmity."
Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?"
When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."
Jump to PreviousAble Bend Bent Bowed Caused Confirmed Disease Double Eighteen Full Fully Head Height Herself Infirmity Invalid Lift Present Raise Sickness Spirit Straight Straighten Together Unable Way Wholly Wise
Jump to NextAble Bend Bent Bowed Caused Confirmed Disease Double Eighteen Full Fully Head Height Herself Infirmity Invalid Lift Present Raise Sickness Spirit Straight Straighten Together Unable Way Wholly Wise
LinksLuke 13:11 NIV
Luke 13:11 NLT
Luke 13:11 ESV
Luke 13:11 NASB
Luke 13:11 KJV
Luke 13:11 Bible Apps
Luke 13:11 Biblia Paralela
Luke 13:11 Chinese Bible
Luke 13:11 French Bible
Luke 13:11 German Bible
Luke 13:11 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.